Registration & Records

The Registrar's Office, located in room 103 of Woodburn Hall, is responsible for student registration, enrollment verification, academic records maintenance, transfer credit evaluation, academic catalogs, awarding degrees, MyBHSU assistance, withdrawals, and transcript services.

Registrar's Office
Black Hills State University
1200 University Street, Unit 9666
Spearfish, SD 57799-9666

Office Hours
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Mountain Time

Privacy of Student Records
Black Hills State University takes the protection of the student and their records very seriously. Parents/legal guardians may have access to the academic or financial record of their child if that student has provided written consent to the university. Grades are not released via telephone, nor are they mailed unless an official transcript has been requested.

Telephone Numbers

  • 605-642-6092, transcript information, enrollment verification, routine office inquiries, graduation appointments
  • transcripts cannot be ordered over the phone.
  • 605-642-6044, general registration, withdrawals
  • 605-642-6022, FAX

Still not sure what degree to pursue? Check out Exploratory Studies for undecided majors.

Understand what your GPA means

Students at Black Hills State University will have Attempted hours, Completed hours, GPA hours, and a Grade Point Average.

  • Attempted hours is any course that the student was registered for after the census date of the term regardless of the grade assigned.
  • Completed hours are for courses that are graded A, B, C, D, S, CR, or EX. Courses with grades of S, CR, or EX will count in the completed hours but are excluded from GPA hours.
  • GPA hours are for courses that are graded A, B, C, D, or F.
  • Remedial courses numbered below 100 are excluded from completed hours and from GPA hours.

Grade points are calculated by assigning four points for a grade of A, three points for a grade of B, two points for a grade of C, one point for a grade of D, and zero points for a grade of F times the number of credit hours for the course. The GPA (grade point average) is calculated by dividing the sum of grade points by the GPA hours.

How to declare a major

Many students are undecided about their majors when they enter college, and many who declared a major change their minds more than once before they graduate. Students at Black Hills State University are required to have one major, and in some cases a minor. It is a good idea to declare a major no later than your sophomore year to avoid adding extra time and expense to your college education. To help in decision-making, students can explore the Bureau of Labor Statistics web site for employment outlook.

To declare or change your major or minor, please go to the Registrar's Office, located in Woodburn 104. View a complete listing of majors and minors and the course requirements.

Withdraw from a class:

While you can withdraw from all but your LAST class using MyBHSU, you must contact the Registrar’s Office to process a complete withdrawal from the University. This request must be either 1) in person or 2) in writing. You may use this form to process your request in writing. Telephone requests cannot be accepted as this process requires your signature.

It is important to follow the withdrawal process and deadlines. Failure to do so will result in a financial obligation to the University.

Petition for Late Withdrawal:

Undergraduate and graduate students who drop a course, or withdraw from the system, receive a grade of “W” if that action occurs between the day after census day for that course and the day that corresponds with the completion of 70% of the class days for that course. Likewise, a student who withdraws from the system during that time period also shall receive grades of “W” for all the courses in which he/she is registered. Students at BHSU may not drop a course or withdraw after the time specified above without permission of the Vice President for Academic Affairs

To petition for a late drop or withdrawal, the student will submit this petition to the office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, along with any necessary supporting documentation. The student will be notified of the decision in writing.