Exchange Program Banner
Home / International / Study Abroad / Exchange Programs / Scholarships & Finances

Federal Aid

The U.S. Department of Education permits schools to release federal aid for payment toward a study abroad program as long as the program is approved for credit by your home institution and applies towards a degree. This means any amount you are awarded through F.A.F.S.A for the year may be used for study abroad, as long as you are taking the courses through your home university. This includes loans and grants. After meeting with the Study Abroad Advisor, schedule an advising appointment with the Student Financial Services Office to discuss how aid may apply to your study abroad program. Their phone number is (605)642-6145.

Gilman Scholarship

The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a grant program that enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, thereby gaining skills critical to our national security and economic competitiveness. Recipients can be awarded up to $5,000.

Learn More Now!

Gilman-McCain Scholarship

This $5000 scholarship is for a child dependent of active duty service members to study or intern abroad.

Learn More Now!

Program Specific Scholarships

Depending on the type of program you are participating in, there may be scholarships offered directly from that university or provider. Be sure to check their websites for scholarships offered to partner programs or affiliated universities. Specifically, programs like AIFS, ISA, and World Endeavors all offer BHSU students scholarships or discounts due to our affiliations!

Fund for Education Abroad

The mission of the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students with financial need who are underrepresented among the U.S. study-abroad population. FEA makes life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting students of color, community college, and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs.

Learn More Now!

Travel Scholarship

At HI USA you get the opportunity to explore the World with support from a travel scholarship.

Learn More Now!

Contact Info

Kaitlin Palmer
Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) and Responsible Officer (RO)
Woodburn 115 Map
Phone: 605-642-6942
Fax: 605-642-6254

International Relations & Global Engagement
Black Hills State University
1200 University St.
Spearfish, SD, USA 57799


Gain amazing academic and professional experiences to learn, grow, and enhance your future!

›› Schedule an Advising Appointment

›› Scholarships & Finances

›› FAQs

›› Application