New Students will receive an email with instructions on how to submit a Buzz Card photo.
- If you can't find the email, please search your email inbox for the subject line: "Submit Your Photo For Your Student ID (Buzz Card)".
- If you can't find it by searching, please check your junk email folder.
- If you still can't find it, please contact BuzzCard@BHSU.edu.
All photos submitted are subject to approval and must meet Black Hills State's Buzz Card photo guidelines below. Not following the guidelines can result in unnecessary delays or a photo you didn't choose yourself.
Basically, we need a simple photo of you facing the camera with a plain background.
- For best results, take a square photo or crop square
- Best if cropped slightly above the head to the middle of the chest
- Should be taken against a plain lighter background
- Should be directly facing the camera
- Should be a recent photo within six months
- Best results with sufficient amount of light (use flash)
- No hats or head coverings (unless daily religious attire; no obscuring of the face)
- No sunglasses or face coverings
- No photos of photos
- Eyes should be open looking toward the camera
- Must be a color photo
- Nobody else should appear in the photo
- Do not use an app filter on your face, etc.
- Take pictures from camera app; not from a social media app, etc.
IMPORTANT: New students will need to submit a photo of a government-issued photo ID along with their Buzz Card photo so we can verify identity during the approval process.
If you find that you need to remove the background from your photo, we suggest using the Background Eraser app in the App Store or Google Play Store.
Instructions on submitting your photo for your BHSU Buzz Card will be sent to your email. If you can't find this email, please contact: BuzzCard@BHSU.edu