BHSU'S WASTE DIVERSION GOALS
Black Hills State University is committed to decreasing our waste stream by 25% from 2014 to 2018. To reach these goals, the campus is increasing recycling initiatives and introducing the Trash Buddy system. The benefits of the Trash Buddy System include:
- Increasing the amount of waste diverted, putting BHSU one step closer to achieving its goals.
- Empowering employees by providing them the opportunity to contribute to the campus sustainability goals.
- Establishing a more effective and efficient method for collecting recyclable materials and utilizing custodial staff.
USING THE TRASH BUDDY SYSTEM:
The Trash Buddy is a user-friendly system that makes desk side recycling easy and convenient. Recyclable goods should be placed in the blue recycling bins. These include paper, glass, plastics numbered 1-7, and cans. Any additional waste, such as Styrofoam, candy wrappers, or disposable cups, belong in the Trash Buddy attachment. All receptacles will be emptied by individuals in the centralized waste station location.
- Cardboard: cereal, cracker, and pizza boxes, shipping boxes, paper bags, notebook covers
- Magazines: Glossy paper, photo paper, magazines
- Newspaper: Newspaper and newsprint materials
- White Paper: Notebook paper with the cover and metal spiral removed, printer paper, colored paper, junk mail
- Cans: Soda cans
- Plastic and Glass: Clear and colored glass, plastic labeled with the numbers 1-7
- Facility Services will take items such as batteries, electronic and computer equipment , CDs, and old cell phones.
For more information contact Debbie Liddick at: Deborah.firstname.lastname@example.org or call (605)642-6550.