The Collegiate Outdoor Leadership Program (COLP) is a student-led organization for Outdoor Education Majors and other outdoor enthusiasts.
Each fall, the student leadership team meets to select the goals and activities for the year. Generally, activities fall into the following categories:
- Leadership Development: Students can attend orientations to become a "COLP Leader," "Climbing Wall Supervisor," "Trip Leader" or "Teaching Assistant." For more information see COLP Leader Information Page.
- Student-Led Programs for Individuals: Student leaders plan and lead outdoor activities for the campus community. Previous events have included rock climbing outings, lake paddling, fly fishing clinics, caving tours, 5K races, kayak rolling clinics, archery, shooting sports, and ice fishing. What programs are offered is up to that year's COLP Leaders and Officers. A current list of programs is listed on the COLP News & Events Calendar.
- Meetings: Active COLP members get together twice a month. Usually, they offer "mini-programs" on topics such as Leave No Trace, Wilderness First Responder skills, knot tying, or other. Dates and times and topics are listed on the COLP News & Events Calendar.
- Programs for Groups Fundraiser: COLP Leaders will plan and lead programs for groups of 8 or more. More information on how to register and prices is listed on the COLP Programs for Groups page.
- Outdoor Gear Rental Program: COLP, in partnership with the academic Outdoor Education Program, rents outdoor gear to the BHSU community on Mondays and Fridays from 2:00 - 5:30 pm. Active COLP Leaders are able to rent outdoor gear for free for 1 week (with a $25 deposit). More information on equipment, prices, and procedures can be found on the Outdoor Gear Rental Program page.
to lead in stead of being led,
to participate instead of watching,
to act.. instead of waiting with idle hands."
Keep up with us: Like our Facebook page.