A Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from BHSU provides students the opportunity to explore the diverse sub-disciplines of biology. Students may choose an emphasis in Environmental Biology with laboratory and field courses that focus on ecological principles, plant and animal biology, and conservation; or an emphasis in Cellular Biology and Physiology with lecture and laboratory courses ranging from Cell & Molecular biology, to Neurobiology, and Genomics. Through the rigorous curricula provided in both emphases, students will learn to design experiments, interpret biological data and communicate biological concepts and research findings effectively. Students completing a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from BHSU will find themselves:
- WELL PREPARED FOR GRADUATE PROGRAMS in a wide variety of biological disciplines.
- WELL PREPARED FOR ADMISSION TO MEDICAL SCHOOL or other professional programs in the biomedical sciences.
- ABLE TO COMPETE WELL FOR JOBS, whether in the biotech industry or in positions in state or federal agencies.
BHSU provides Biology majors with opportunities to conduct authentic research in labs outfitted with state-of-the-art equipment. BHSU’s Western South Dakota DNA Sequencing and Genotyping Core Facility (WestCore) and the Center for the Conservation of Biological Resources (CCBR) support biology faculty and students conducting genetics and genomics research on a variety of biological systems by providing both NextGen and Sanger nucleic acid sequencing, genotyping, and other services. WestCore and CCBR provide hands on training to undergraduate students in genetics and genomic research techniques using cutting-edge equipment to prepare students for graduate school or for jobs in the biotechnology workforce.
As a Biology major at BHSU, students will have the opportunity to:
- BE TAUGHT BY AND INTERACT WITH HIGHLY QUALIFIED FACULTY who are committed to the highest quality student instruction and advising to ensure students are fully prepared for their desired career path.
- PARTICIPATE IN AUTHENTIC FACULTY-MENTORED RESEARCH either through paid undergraduate research fellowships or through independent study.
- PRESENT RESEARCH FINDINGS at regional and national scientific conferences. Past students have even published with their mentor in scientific journals!
Through courses designed to train the future of biologists in cutting edge research techniques and recent advances in the various fields of biology, students are able to earn upper division credit towards their degree while contributing new knowledge to the scientific community. Such courses include: