The Veterans' Services at BHSU are extended to current members and veterans of the United States Armed Forces as well as their dependents. Our staff will aid in researching and receiving education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the State of South Dakota, as well as state/federal organizations. We are here to offer a place for independent study and a safe atmosphere where veterans can feel free to share military experiences.
At BHSU, we offer over 60 degree programs including associate's, bachelor's, and master's degrees with options to participate in classes from multiple locations including Spearfish, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Yankton, and online. BHSU is a VA approved school, and a member of the Service Members Opportunity College consortium.
BHSU has been selected to be on the 2019-2020 Military Friendly Schools list! Although this is great news for our university, it's even better news for our students, as it shows we are an institution with a vested interest in making sure you the veteran and your dependents not only feel comfortable here, but are getting a world class education.
The Veterans' Services office is located within the Student Success Center in Woodburn Hall, Rm 134.
The Veterans Resource Coordinator, Greg Krajewski (605-642-6415) serves current or former military members, their spouses and/or dependents by:
- Being up-to-date on VA School Certifying Official (SCO) training.
- Offering current and accurate information and direction on applying for GI Bill® education entitlements, Federal Tuition Assistance, State Tuition Reimbursement, student loans, financial aid, and scholarships.
- Educates students about transfer process including transferring military credits.
- Refers student to career counselors.
- VA resourcing and referrals.
- Provide emergency financial, housing, and food assistance to Veterans.
- Providing free printing, and a clean space to meet in the Veterans Resource Center.
- Building relationships among service members and veterans organizations, such as DAV, VFW, American Legion, Military Order of the Purple Heart, Beyond the Yellow Ribbon, Family Assistance Centers, and all branches of service.