The BHSU Mail Service is responsible for the distribution, collection, and processing of University Intra-Campus mail and United States Postal Service Mail.
- This service is for the enhancement and maintenance of related official business of the university.
- This service is not available for personal use by university employees nor the personal use, private gain or use by non-university groups for the advertisement of programs not sponsored by the university.
- This service provides USPS and intra-campus mail for students living on campus.
- This service is for currently employed administrators, faculty, and staff who have current account numbers for postage.
University postage meter and mailing permits are the acceptable methods of applying postage to university mail. This policy ensures that BHSU business mail qualifies and receives applicable postage discounts.
All out-going mail shall have a barcoded slip attached to mail, sorted by on-campus, domestic, and international.
Defined as any mail not related to BHSU or your position at BHSU. Occasional correspondence from friends and/or colleagues is acceptable. Your BHSU address should never be given as your permanent address. Dorm or apartments addresses should be the only address given out for personal mail.
Intra-campus mail is limited to university business. For delivery mail may be folded and taped. Intra-campus mail envelopes are encouraged.
Distribution of Mail
Mail will be distributed to proper mailboxes as quickly as time and amount of mail allows. No unattended mail will be picked up and placed in the mail stream. The office will be notified and asked to check the outgoing mail and then placed in the proper outgoing mailbox.
If a new employee or student worker will pick up the mail, please notify the mail service. A BHSU ID is required.
Mailings of 100 or more pieces to offices or on-campus students should be sorted by ascending box number. No box numbers or labels are necessary if mailing to all offices or on-campus students.
Campus Mail Box Numbers
BHSU Mail Service will assign all faculty and staff mail box numbers. This information will be provided to the Human Resources office, University Support office, and College area.
Buzz Bucks, check, credit card, or cash maybe used to purchases stamps and parcel postage. We will handle any USPS transaction except money orders and personal Registered Mail. Window hours are from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm.
9-11 Protocols in Handling Mail
Common sense and care should be used in inspecting and opening mail or packages.
- Examine unopened envelopes for foreign bodies or powder.
- Do not open letters with your hands — use a letter opener.
- Open letters and packages with a minimum of movement to avoid spilling any contents.
- Wash hands with soap and water after opening mail.
- Questions or concerns regarding this protocol should be directed to your senior administrative staff member or university president.
Characteristics of a Suspicious Package
- Mailed from a foreign country
- Excessive postage
- Misspelled words
- Addressed to title only
- Wrong title with name
- Rigid or bulky
- Badly typed or hand written
- Restrictive markings
- No return address