Student Employment Banner


Students searching for an on-campus job should use Handshake by logging into your pre-made account.

You can search for on-campus jobs by selecting the "On-Campus Student Employment" filter at the top. 

For students who qualify for Federal Work-Study, please use the "Work-Study" filter to find jobs that are only for students who qualify for work-study.

Federal Work-Study students may apply to "non-work-study" positions!

SNAP (Time Entry) Instructions

Students may not work more than an average of 29 hours per week during a standard academic semester. 

International students may not work more than 20 hours per week during a standard academic semester.


Steps for the On-Campus Employment Supervisor:

  1. Review the Student Employment Manual
  2. Post the job on Handshake (Email to recieve access to an account)
  3. Interview your applicants
  4. Notify your applicants of hiring process and/or closing of job posting
  5. Obtain approval to hire from BHSU Human Resources by emailing Students Name, Student ID#, and Email 
  6. Create ePAF
  7. Once ePAF is created and approved, the student may begin working!

For International Students, please notify the International Relations and Global Engagement Office at the same time you notify Human Resources (Step #5) to initiate the social security card application if the student does not yet have one. (



Who is eligible?
In this federally-funded, need-based aid program, students work part-time on campus to help pay for educational expenses.

How do I apply?
You apply for work-study when you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available beginning October 1 of each year for the following summer, fall, and spring semesters. For a FAFSA application, go to the Federal Student Aid webpage or contact Student Financial Services.

Funding is limited. Students who submit the FAFSA by December 1 (the priority date) will be considered for the more desirable grants and federal work-study.

Amount Available
Students earn at least the federal minimum wage for their work and average about 10 hours per week.

Work-study awards do not need to be repaid. They are earned and you will only be paid for the hours you work.

Inquiries on student Federal Work-Study status and awards should be directed to BHSU Financial Aid Office at or 605.642.6145.

On-Campus Employers

Accounts Receivable
BHSU - Rapid City
Career Development
Central Receiving
Dining Services
Disability Services - Testing Center
Facilities Services
Financial Aid
Human Resources
Instructional Technology Services
International Relations & Global Engagement
Mail Services
Marketing and Communications
Network - Computer Services
Registration - Records
Residence Life
School of Arts - Humanities
School of Behavioral Sciences
School of Business
School of Education
School of Math - Social Sciences
School of Natural Sciences
Student Engagement and Leadership Center (SELC)
Student Health and Counseling
Student Technology Fellows
Student Union
Sustainability - Recycling - Gardening
University Advancement
Young Center

Contact Info
BHSU E. Y. Berry Library Room #171 Map
Phone: 605.642.6269

Career Development
Black Hills State University
1200 University St. Unit 9672
Spearfish, SD, USA 57799-9672