BHSU Financial Aid - Student Employment

Student Employment

There are three types of student employment: federal work-study, institutional work-study, and off-campus employment. A student must meet certain eligibility requirements to work in either a federal work-study or an institutional work-study program. To apply, see Work Study Application.
If you are interested in either program, please contact:

Black Hills State University
Student Financial Services
1200 University Street Unit 9670
Spearfish, SD 57799-9670


Student Employment Manual
SNAP (Time) Entry

SNAP Instructions

Federal Work-Study

Who is eligible?
In this federally-funded, need-based aid program, students work part-time on campus to help pay for educational expenses.

How do I apply?
You apply for work-study when you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available beginning October 1 of each year for the following summer, fall and spring semesters. For a FAFSA application, go to or contact Student Financial Services.

Funding is limited. Students who submit the FAFSA by December 1 (the priority date) will be considered for the more desirable grants and federal work-study.

To apply for work-study, see Work Study Application.

Amount Available
Students earn at least the federal minimum wage for their work and average about ten hours per week.

Work-study awards do not need to be repaid. They are earned and you will only be paid for the hours you work.