The FAFSA or Free Application for Federal Student Aid is a government program to help students with the expenses of college. This application can be a great asset to you. All you have to do is submit it on-line before the due date. You can fill out the form online at www.fafsa.gov. Please refer to the FAFSA Helpful Hints page to learn more about how to fill out the FAFSA. If you have any questions about the FAFSA or about Financial Aid, contact the Financial Aid Office at
1.800.ALL.BHSU [255.2478] (Access the Financial Aid Prompt) or
email us at BHSUfinancial@BHSU.edu
- Apply for admission to BHSU if you have not already done so.
- Gather your 2017 tax forms.
- Complete the FAFSA after October 1, 2018 for the 2019-20 academic year. The FAFSA can be completed online www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- If completing electronically, the FAFSA is completed quicker if FSA ID(s) for student and/or parent are used as signatures. FSA ID's may be obtained at www.studentaid.gov or go to www.fafsa.gov.
- List BHSU's code  so we receive the results.
- Apply as early as possible to meet the December 1, 2018, priority deadline.
- Use the Worksheet available on-line or get a hard copy from your school if completing on-line FAFSA. Read instructions carefully.
- Round to whole dollars.
- If the answer to an item would be "none", "not applicable", or "unknown" fill in that item with a "0".
- Do not list the net value of a farm if it is the principal place of residence and you or your parents claimed on Schedule F of your tax return that you/they participated in the farm's operation. Do not list the net value of a small business if you qualify under the description listed on the FAFSA.
- Keep photocopies of application and tax forms.
- Submit the completed FAFSA electronically using FSA ID of student (and parent, if applicable) to the processor or print off signature page and mail in.
- Do not send tax forms or other documents.
- You will receive a Student Aid Report via email ,or mail if you did not include a accurate email address.
- Make any necessary corrections on of your Student Aid Report; this can be done by going back out to FAFSA Online
- Keep in contact with Student Financial Services at 605.642.6145 or 1.800.ALL.BHSU [255.2478], or email at BHSUfinancial@BHSU.edu.