The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a federal government program to help students with college expenses. This application can be a great asset to you. Submit online as soon after October 1, 2019 as possible at www.FAFSA.gov. Please refer to the FAFSA Helpful Hints page to learn more about how to fill out the FAFSA. If you have any questions about the FAFSA or about financial aid, contact Angie Faulkner in the Financial Aid Office at
1.800.ALL.BHSU [255.2478] (Access the Financial Aid Prompt) or
email us at BHSUfinancial@BHSU.edu.
- Apply for admission to BHSU if you have not already done so.
- Gather your 2018 tax information.
- Complete the FAFSA after October 1, 2019 for the 2020-21 academic year. The FAFSA can be completed online at www.fafsa.gov.
- It is recommended to file online for quicker results. You and your parents (if necessary) will need to establish a username (FSA ID) and password that will serve as your electronic signature. FSA IDs may be obtained at www.studentaid.gov or go to www.fafsa.gov.
- List BHSU's code  so we receive the results.
- Apply as early as possible to meet the December 1, 2019, priority deadline.
- Use the Worksheet available on-line or get a hard copy from your school if completing on-line FAFSA. Read instructions carefully.
- Round to whole dollars.
- If the answer to an item would be "none", "not applicable", or "unknown" fill in that item with a "0".
- Do not list the net value of a farm if it is the principal place of residence and you or your parents claimed on Schedule F of your tax return that you/they participated in the farm's operation. Do not list the net value of a small business if you qualify under the description listed on the FAFSA.
- Keep photocopies of application and tax forms.
- Submit the completed FAFSA electronically using FSA ID of student (and parent, if applicable) to the processor or print off signature page and mail in.
- You will be notified if verification information, such as tax forms or other documents, are needed.
- You will receive a Student Aid Report via email, or mail if you did not include an accurate email address.
- Make any necessary corrections on your Student Aid Report; this can be done by going back out to FAFSA Online
- Keep in contact with Student Financial Services at 605.642.6145 or 1.800.ALL.BHSU [255.2478] or email at BHSUfinancial@BHSU.edu.