If you have previously attended BHSU and have not since then attended another post-secondary institution, you will be considered a Returning Student. If you are looking to obtain an endorsement, take classes to maintain your teacher certification, or are wanting to take classes without obtaining a degree, you will be considered a Non-Degree Seeking Student.
- Non-degree Seeking Students, apply online here. Returning Students, apply online here.
- Note: Returning students to Black Hills State University (within the last 3 semesters) might qualify for an application fee discount code. Contact the Admissions Office to receive your application fee discount code at 605-642-6343 or Admissions@bhsu.edu. You will need this application fee discount code when you apply for admission in order to waive the application fee.
- Application fee procedural guidelines for returning and non-degree seeking students:
- If you have attended a Regental university (Black Hills State University, University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University, Northern State University, Dakota State University, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology) within the previous three terms, (including summer), your $20 application fee will be waived. If your attendance at a Regental university was not within the previous three terms, you will be required to pay the $20 application fee.
- Non-Degree Seeking students are not required to pay the $20 application fee.
- Returning students who have since attended a non-regental university will need to request official transcripts from that university to be sent to the Office of Admissions address above.
Returning students must have a 2.0 (C) grade point average. Students not meeting the 2.0 GPA admission requirement may be considered for admission on academic probation.
Non-degree seeking students are not required to send high school or previous college, university, or technical school transcripts.
Contact the Office of Admissions at 605.642.6343 or 1.800.ALL.BHSU for registration information.
Send all application materials to the address below:
Black Hills State University
Office of Admissions
1200 University Street Unit 9502
Spearfish, SD 57799-9502