Application fee procedural guidelines:

Send all application materials to the address below:

Black Hills State University
Office of Admissions
1200 University Street Unit 9502
Spearfish, SD 57799-9502

If you have previously attended BHSU, and have not since then attended another post-secondary institution, you will be considered a Returning Student. If you are looking to obtain an endorsement, take classes to maintain your teacher certification or are wanting to take classes without obtaining a degree, you will be considered a Non-Degree Seeking Student.

  1. Submit a completed Returning or Non-Degree Seeking Student Application Form to the BHSU Office of Admissions.
  2. Application fee procedural guidelines for returning and non-degree seeking students:
    • If you have attended a Regental university (Black Hills State University, University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University, Northern State University, Dakota State University, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology) within the previous three terms, (including summer), your $20 application fee will be waived. If your attendance at a Regental university was not within the previous three terms, you will be required to pay the $20 application fee.
    • Non-Degree Seeking students are not required to pay the $20 application fee.
  3. Returning students who have since attended a non-regental university will need to request official transcripts from that university to be sent to the Office of Admissions address above.

Admission Requirements

Returning students must have a 2.0 (C) grade point average. Students not meeting the 2.0 GPA admission requirement may be considered for admission on academic probation.

Non-degree seeking students are not required to send high school or previous college, university, or technical school transcripts.


Contact the Office of Admissions at 605.642.6343 or 1.800.ALL.BHSU for registration information.