FAQs & Links

What degree will I obtain as a Sociology major?
You will earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Sociology.

What emphases are available within Sociology?
There are three emphasis areas within the Sociology degree. You will be required to specialize in Culture & Society, Law & Justice, or Social Resiliency.

Is a minor required with this major?
Yes. You will be required to have a minor with this degree. You may also declare a double major in the same degree (B.S.).

What is a good complimentary minor?
Complimentary minors for Sociology vary according to the individual student. Some common minors include Psychology and American Indian Studies.

How many credits of Sociology classes will I need to take?
You will be required to take at least 42 credits in the field of Sociology.

Who is my advisor?
To check your advisor, login to WebAdvisor and click on Program Evaluation. Your advisor, if assigned one, will be listed at the top of this page. If no advisor is listed, contact Melissa Woodall.

How do I change my advisor?
If you would like to change your advisor, contact the advisor you wish to change to. If they agree to the change, they will guide you on the next step you need to take.

What are common job outcomes for Sociology graduates?
There are a wide range of job outcomes for Sociology graduates. Job outcomes include social workers, counselors, professors, public relations and human resources employees.

I am interested in attending graduate school. What do I do next?
Visit out Grad School page for more information. You will also want to speak with an advisor on which courses you should be taking. Research and/or internship experiences are often required on graduate school applications.

How do I get involved in research?
Generally, students are encouraged to have statistics and/or research methods at least started before beginning research. Some professors, however, may be willing to take exceptional students on a case-by-case basis. Contact the professor of your interest area for more information.

Who do I contact for internship information?
Contact Dr. Emilia Flint for more information on internships. Also, keep an eye out for postings around campus (particularly in the Jonas Skywalk).

Contact Info

Laura Colmenero-Chilberg, P.H.D
Phone: 605-642-6365

Behavioral Sciences
Black Hills State University
1200 University St.
Spearfish, SD, USA 57799