Home / Admissions / Pay for College / Financial Aid / Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study

Who is eligible?

In this federally-funded, need-based aid program, students work part-time on campus to help pay for educational expenses.

How do I apply?

You apply for work-study when you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available beginning of each year for the following summer, fall, and spring semesters. For a FAFSA application, go to the Federal Student Aid website or contact Student Financial Services.

Funding is limited. Students who submit the FAFSA by (the priority date) will be considered for the more desirable grants and federal work-study.

Amount Available

Students earn at least the federal minimum wage for their work and average about 10 hours per week.


Work-study awards do not need to be repaid. They are earned and you will only be paid for the hours you work.

Contact Info

Student Financial Aid Office
Woodburn 114 Map
Phone: 605.642.6145

Black Hills State University
1200 University St. Unit 9670
Spearfish, SD, USA 57799-9670