At BHSU, you will have one main account. This account is your email and it will allow you to log into the email system, campus computers, the library system, and D2L. Following this guide will help you access your account for the first time.
Retrieving your Login Information
1. First, you need to know what your username is and set your password. To do this, open https://account.bhsu.edu in a web browser (EDGE, Google Chrome, Safari, FireFox, etc.)
2. Hit the "Forgotten Password" button
3. The next screen will ask for your last name and birth date. Please make sure you enter your birth date in the correct format MMDDYYYY and then select the checkbox verifying you are not a robot
4. After entering your information, select email verification. If you received an error on this screen, please contact the Help Desk by filling out this form
5. You will have a message displayed that includes the first letter of your alternative email address and part of the email domain. i.e. r************@g****.com, please log into your alternative email address
6. In your alternative email account, find the email from BHSU HelpDesk with the subject BHSU Forgotten Password Verification
7. The email will display your BHSU email address (usually Firstname.Lastname@yellowjackets.bhsu.edu), take note of your BHSU email and then select the "Click Here" link
8. A new screen will open asking for a new password and will also display the password requirements. Please type in a new password and then click the Change Password button
9. Once your password is accepted, you will see a progress bar while your password is changed. Once that bar finishes, your new password is active for the next 90 days
Logging into your Email and Setting up Duo
10. Now, go to https://mail.office365.com/yellowjackets.bhsu.edu
11. Log into your email using your full email address and the password you just set
12. A second box will pop up asking you for additional verification. Click on start setup
13. The next screen will ask you what type of device you would like to use as your second-factor during login. If you have an iPhone or Android smart phone, select Mobile phone and click on continue.
Note: If you do not own a smart phone, please stop the process and email the Help Desk at BHSUHelpDesk@BHSU.edu
14. Enter a valid phone number and then select the checkbox confirming the number is correct. Click continue
15. Select the type of phone you are enrolling in Duo
16. On your phone, go to the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store and download the Duo Mobile app. Make sure that the app you download has a green logo and is made by Duo Security
17. On your computer, click "I have Duo Mobile installed"
18. Open the Duo mobile app on your phone and select the "+" icon in the upper right corner of the screen to add your account. If your phone asks to allow Duo access to your camera select "Allow"
19. Scan the QR code that is displayed on your computer screen. This will link your account to your Duo Mobile app
20. Now back on back your computer, the QR code will have a green checkmark on it, click on continue
21. Select "Continue to Login" on the following screen
22. You have successfully enrolled in Duo. The following screen will have two options: "Send Me a Push" and "Enter a Passcode." Click on "Send Me a Push"
23. On your phone, you will have a notification from Duo Mobile. Click on the notification and hit the Approve button.
Note: If you don't see a notification, you can also open the Duo Mobile app and there will be a green bar at the top with an awaiting request. Click on the green bar and approve your login.
24. After clicking approve, you will be logged into your email. Since it is your first time accessing the system, you will be prompted to select your Default Language and your Default Time Zone (Spearfish and Rapid City are in the UTC-07:00 Mountain Time Zone)
25. You now have access to your BHSU network account that can be used to log into your email, campus computers, D2L, and many more systems