Financial aid is an important part of helping you reach your educational goals. We will work with you to find the best individualized way to pay for your education.  We have trained financial aid personnel who have years of experience in student financial aid to help you with any questions you have about grants, work-study, or loans.


The 2021-22 FAFSA uses 2019 tax information.  We understand that many students/families may be experiencing financial changes and strains during this time and that the information on next year’s FAFSA may not accurately reflect current income. The Financial Aid Office has the ability to use professional judgement to make certain changes to a student’s FAFSA and possibly adjust the aid a student is eligible to receive.  Please contact or (605)642-6113 for more information.


Master Promissory Note (MPN) needed

If you are a new borrower of a Direct Loan, please go to to complete the MPN and loan entrance counseling for the Direct loans.  You will use your FSA ID to get into the site and you will use it again for your electronic signature. If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (605)642-6145.



Contact Info

Financial Aid Office
Phone: 605-642-6145
Fax: 605-642-6913

Black Hills State University
1200 University St. Unit 9670
Spearfish, SD, USA 57799-9670

Take The Next Step

Develop valuable personal relationships in a small community with amazing faculty and staff while thriving in the outdoors of the Black Hills.