Advising Resources for A Successful College Career

Registration Information

  • To determine your registration date and time, login to MyBHSUClick on “My Registration Time” under the Registration section of the MyBHSU Current Students page. 
    • You may want to check and see if you have any restrictions (holds) that might prohibit your registration. To check, login to MyBHSU, and select "Student' on the side menu, then under the 'Student Accounts' headingclick 'Student Accounts Menu'. Click on 'View Holds' and you will see if there are any holds on your student record. Visit for specific info about restrictions (holds).
  • Talk to your advisor. (Mandatory if you have earned 60 credit hours or less)
    Your advisor will become a helpful guide as you move toward your goal of earning your degree.
    • If you're not sure who your advisor is, log in to MyBHSU, and select 'Student', On the side menu, then under 'Student Accounts' heading, click 'Student Accounts Menu'. Click the 'Student' tab at the top of the page and then click 'Student Profile'.
    • NOTE: If you have earned 60 credit hours or less it is required that you meet your advisor BEFORE registering. Learn more details about mandatory advising by clicking the tab on the left.

Deciding on a Major

Deciding on a major requires time and deliberate exploration. There are several things you can do to help you make your decision.  Talk with your instructors.  Interview current professionals.  Meet with a career counselor.  Complete some interest assessments.  Check out the following links as you proceed:

  • Focus-2  This online career and educational planning tool will help you identify what type of work you like to do, what careers might suit you the best, as well as information on over 3,000 jobs such as degree requirements, entry level salary, and the job outlook.
    Access Code: jackets
  • BHSU Programs and Majors  Our official BHSU website lists over 125 majors, minors, and programs of study!  Find out almost everything you need to know about what's offered at BHSU. 
  • Status Sheets  These are official and one of the most valuable tools you will find. Use it in conjunction with your "DegreeWorks" audit in SNAP (Banner). 

To declare or change your major just contact the Registrar's Office, Woodburn Hall first floor, 642-6092. 



  • Notify your professors of any absences (past or upcoming).
  • Absences could jeopardize grades AND financial aid.
  • Research shows that absent students score lower GPAs.

Always strive to maintain the highest grade point average (GPA).

  • You must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA (2.7 GPA for Elem. Ed. majors) to stay in good academic standing. Some Scholarship students have higher GPA requirements based on scholarship type.
  • Students currently on academic probation are required to meet immediately with an advisor. Do not delay!
  • For an excellent student success resource page, visit

Check your BHSU email DAILY -

    ~ In your “yellowjackets” email, you will receive valuable information from your instructors and BHSU departments and offices as well as useful information about upcoming activities.
  • To obtain your user ID and password, go to
     ~ Click “Student Login Help,” and follow the directions.
  • Contact the Computer Help Center at 642-6580, Library 003, or email if you have any questions.

Familiarize yourself with MyBHSU in preparation for registration.

  • Log on to MyBHSU (for Current Students) at the BHSU website to do the following:
    ~ Click on “My Profile” to verify your current contact information; find out who your academic advisor is and how to contact them.
    ~ Click on “My Registration Time” to see your registration date and time. You can still register for Summer classes NOW!
    ~ Click on “My Restrictions” to find out if you have any restrictions/holds, which might prevent your registration.  Please clear any restrictions as soon as possible.
    ~ Explore your Financial Profile to see your billing and to learn how to use South Dakota online pay (SDePay).

Meet with your academic advisor. 

  • Discuss your academic and personal goals.
  • Find the Status Sheet for your major.
  • Develop your two-or four-year Plan of Study.

    If you have any questions, please contact your academic advisor.

After Mid-Terms Checklist

  • Verify your grade in each class and calculate your grade point average (GPA).
    • Talk to your instructor or check MyBHSU.
    • Midterm deficiencies—DEF’s—are now posted on Banner Self-Service under "Grades." DEF (Deficient) means your midterm grade is a “D” or an “F”.
  • For any DEF on your midterm report:
    • Ask your professor for advice on improvement strategies.
    • Meet with a tutor as needed.
  • Make a commitment to improve.
    • Plan adequate time to complete assignments between now and finals, and for more difficult classes and assignments, allow MORE time.
    • Invest more study time— at least 2 hours of study outside of class for every hour in class
  • Consider dropping a course only as a last resort.
    • Talk to your professor or advisor before dropping a course. Do NOT drop any developmental courses- i.e., MATH-021, ENGL-033, READ-041.
    • Check the Academic Calendar for Drop Day; the last day to drop a semester-long course with a “W” grade.
    • Use MyBHSU to drop courses, provided you keep at least one credit hour after the drop. To drop all of your courses, contact the Registrar’s Office at 605.642.6092.
    • Rapid City students must go to the University Center - Rapid City to withdraw or call 605.718.4373 for help.
  • Meet with your academic advisor to prepare your next semester class schedule.
    • Check MyBHSU to determine your start date for the next semester registration.
    • Your advisor’s name and contact information are listed on MyBHSU under “My Profile.”

Frequently Asked Questions

What is academic probation?

  • It means you have failed to accomplish the minimum GPA of 2.0. ALL STUDENTS ON PROBATION MUST EARN A MINIMUM OF A 2.0 GPA THE NEXT TERM. If you do not, you will be suspended from school.

How many credits are needed to be a full-time student and stay on my parents' insurance?

  • 12

How do I calculate my GPA (Grade Point Average)?

What is the minimum GPA?

  • It depends on your major. College of Education majors must have a 2.7 GPA or higher. All other majors must have a 2.0 minimum GPA.

What is academic suspension?

What is a hold or restriction on my account?

  • It can mean anything from a parking ticket to unpaid tuition. You need to contact BHSU immediately. Check out the following numbers:

    Admissions: 605.642.6742
    Advising (CADV): 605.642.6106
    Cashier: 605.642.6480
    Child Care: 605.642.6322
    Emergency Loan: 605.642.6335
    Financial Aid: 605.642.6581
    Gen Ed requirements: 605.642.6259
    Library: 605.642.6834
    Parking: 605.642.6560
    Residence Life: 605.642.6788
    Tuition and Fees: 605.642.6527

How do I know what classes to take?

  • Visit with your academic advisor. To find out your advisor, log into MyBHSU and click on "My Profile". And check out your official status sheet. This lists all the classes you need to take to graduate.

Where can I go to get help with math?

  • The Math Assistance Center in the Library welcomes all students on a drop in basis.  Tutors are available at any time when the Center is open for any Algebra course, Precalculus, Trigonometry, Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Statistics, Math 341 and Math 342.

How do I declare my major or change my major?

  • To declare or change a major or minor, you must contact the Registrar's Office, Woodburn Hall first floor, 642-6092.

Where can I go if I need writing help?

  • The Writing Assistance Center can provide writing help. To make an appointment, sign up in the session book in the Writing Center, contact us directly at 642-6922, or sign up via the session request form. Walk-ins are welcome as space allows. Open Writing Lab (OWL):  Students are welcome to work on their writing during regular WC hours.
  • Mondays - Thursdays: 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
  • Fridays: 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

What are the general education requirements?

  • Every student who graduates from Black Hills State University must complete the general education requirements. For more information regarding general education requirements, contact the BHSU Registrars Office at 642-6092.

Who's my academic advisor?

  • Log into MyBHSU and click on "My Profile". All BHSU students should have an advisor listed. 



  • Know immediately when the institution has a concern about your academic performance and which support services are available to help you. 
  • Receive notifications from the institution in a variety of convenient methods, including email and text. 


Starfish is a student success system that allows the University to connect you with the tools and resources that you might need in order to be successful. The system will allow you to easily schedule appointments with your professors and advisor, and allow them to identify and help at-risk students, remind you of non-classroom related tasks that you need to complete, and commend you for a job well done.

You can access the Starfish system in one of two ways: from the main navigation menu on the Desire2Learn homepage or from the Student Information menu within MyBHSU. The first time that you enter the Starfish system, please update your personal profile including a picture so that faculty and staff can easily recognize you. To access your profile, simply click on your hyperlinked name in the upper right hand corner of the Starfish window. When you are entering your profile information, please keep in mind that anyone you make an appointment with in Starfish will be able to access your profile information. We recommend that you change your default time zone to Mountain time and determine the frequency of emails that works the best for you. After you finish updating your profile, select either of the two Save buttons. (Callout: The Nevermind buttons will discard any information that you entered without saving it.)

After you have finished updating your profile, please select the hyperlink for the Home screen which will provide you with access your Starfish dashboard. This screen shows you a list of all of your courses as well as a list of your professors. The drop-down menus allow you to filter these different sections of the system. 


Privacy Information

University personnel are ever watchful of the content of student information to be shared with others, as well as with whom it is to be shared. Faculty concerns frequently focus on maintaining the privacy of student grades and other related indicators of academic performance. In many instances a parent is simply wanting to know the grades of a daughter or son, unaware that such information cannot be released without the student’s prior written consent. This is also the case for staff dealing with a third party wanting information about a student’s GPA or financial aid status.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, a.k.a. the Buckley Amendment, serves as the guideline for how public and private institutions receiving federal aid share students’ educational records. FERPA broadly defines educational records as “any record maintained by the institution about a student.” This information can be either directory (public) or non-directory (private), and the release of private information to anyone other than the student is restricted unless the student gives written consent or the court orders it. There are, however, some exceptions:

…a health or safety emergency, if the information is necessary to resolve the emergency; or to those within the university itself who have a “legitimate educational interest.” Thus, release within a school is permissible for legitimate educational purposes—for example, to a faculty member who needs information about a student enrolled in her course, or even to a school’s accounts receivable clerk who is attempting to collect a student’s outstanding tuition debt. (Academic Advising: A Comprehensive Handbook, NACADA, 2000.)

When university officials are sharing information of "legitimate educational interest," they are advised to keep correspondences as brief and factual, focusing on the immediate student concern. Remember that a student does have the right to request a review of any of her/his public records.