The Staff Senate is an organization of staff at Black Hills State University (BHSU) who have been elected to represent all staff on the BHSU campuses. The Staff Senate provides a mechanism to open communication and collaboration with and share information between staff and administration, staff and faculty, and staff and student. This facilitates teamwork, improves morale, and builds a tighter bond between all constituents of BHSU.
The purposes of the BHSU Staff Senate are:
- To give Staff campus representation, and a means by which they have a collective voice to provide input and make recommendations to the administration on matters concerning staff.
- To provide encouragement and support for staff through personal and professional development opportunities, such as seminars, speakers, printed and audiovisual material, in collaboration with the Human Resources Department (HR).
- To recognize outstanding staff employees, including an Outstanding Staff Employee of the Year.
- To help orient new employees in collaboration with HR and to provide mentors to new employees through the Staff Mentoring Program.
- To provide support to the University by means of the CSA Council and other scholarships, and in other ways as designated by the Staff Senate or requested by University Administration.
- To serve as the formal and recognized governmental structure for staff at BHSU and as an integral component in the operation and functioning of the university.