Before South Dakota had even gained statehood, the people of the Black Hills of Dakota Territory demonstrated a high regard for education and began advocating for a university in the Black Hills. Dakota Territorial Normal School was founded in 1883.
Four-year degrees were added in the 1920s, and in 1941 the school was renamed Black Hills Teachers College. Graduate courses followed in 1953 and by 1964 there was a new designation: Black Hills State College.
Over the next several decades, the college continued to grow in strength and stature. In 1989, the campus was designated as a university to reflect the depth and breadth of the academic offerings. Today, Black Hills State University is home to an increasing population of nearly 4,000 students with three colleges: Liberal Arts, Business and Natural Sciences, and Education and Behavioral Sciences. BHSU is recognized as an innovative, quality institution of higher learning.
For well over a century, Black Hills State University has retained a strong connection with its regional history while stretching out toward a horizon of dynamic change and global influences to provide an innovative institution of learning.
In 2008 BHSU celebrated its Quasquicentennial (125th) anniversary. As part of that celebration, 125 Accomplished Alumni were named, a book titled "Black Hills State University 125th Anniversary" was created, and much more. Several other fun elements still can be found here including photo galleries of our history.