Scholarships: Joseph F. and Martha P. Nelson Scholarship Application
NELSON SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
The Joseph F. and Martha P. Nelson Scholarship award is available to a high school senior/graduate who has not previously attended a post-secondary institution. The scholarship is worth $40,000 over four years. It is renewable without reapplying, provided the student maintains the required academic performance.
To be eligible
- Major(s): Biology, chemistry, physical science, environmental physical science or mathematics
- Be in the upper 10% of his/her class rank
- Attain a minimum ACT composite score of 28 or SAT of 1,260
- Must have completed at least three years of both mathematics and laboratory science, with a fourth year in one area, with all grades of B or higher.
- Academic Level: Freshman
- Enrollment Level: Full Time
- GPA: 3.00
To receive renewal, the student must:
- Maintain a major in biology, chemistry, physical science, environmental physical science, or mathematics
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of
- 3.0 after the first two semesters
- 3.2 after the third and fourth semesters
- 3.4 after the fifth, sixth, and seventh semesters
- Successfully complete 30 credit hours of coursework during each academic year and include courses within the major.
Submit a high school transcript with ACT scores.
Submit a typed statement that identifies your academic and professional goals, describes how attending Black Hills State University can help you attain those goals, and address how you foresee your contribution to the Black Hills State University community.
Obtain three letters of recommendation, with at least one being from a math or science teacher. (each letter should be placed in an individually sealed envelope and returned to the applicant. The applicant should then submit the letters together with the other application materials).