CORPORATE COMMUNICATION AT BHSU
Start Your Career in Corporate Communication
The Corporate Communication major at BHSU combines study across two colleges, within the Mass Communication and Business programs. The co-curricular experience provides students with the knowledge and skills to work as strategic communication specialists in the business world. Faculty, with decades of combined experience, work closely with students to help them identify and attain their goals. The Corporate Communication program is well-networked with many media networks and businesses that regularly and enthusiastically seek help from BHSU students as interns and employees. That network is complete with highly successful alumni that remain dedicated to their alma mater as guest speakers and internship hosts. Graduates with a degree in Corporate Communication will find a vast array of in-demand career options, including public relations, marketing, advertising, event coordination, conflict resolution, broadcast and social media management, human resources, and more.
- A NETWORK OF INTERNSHIPS, near and far, offers students choices and the chance to sharpen skills that will lead to career opportunities.
- STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS, such as the Public Relations Club, Jacket Journal, BHSUmedia.com, KBHU TV, The Buzz FM campus radio, Shutterbuzz, Enactus, and Buzz Marketing, among others, all contribute to hands-on experiences and a supportive network of peers and faculty advisors.
The Corporate Communications Major at BHSU offers:
- Unique combination of courses providing practical skills
- Many opportunities for hands-on experience with the student-run newspaper, TV and radio stations, as well as numerous communications focused clubs
- Regional internships that sharpen skills and create career networking opportunities
- Dedicated faculty members with real-world experience
Corporate Communications Major Course Requirements
Required Core - 36 semester hours
- 3 ACCT 210 Principles of Accounting I
- 3 BADM 101 Survey of Business
- 3 BADM 370 Marketing
- 3 MCOM 161 Graphic Communication
- 3 MCOM 210 Basic Newswriting
- 3 MCOM 235 Social Media Survey
- 3 MCOM 331 Video Production
- 3 MCOM 351 Web Design
- 3 MCOM 430 Media Law
- 3 MCOM 452 Mass Media Issues
- 3 MCOM 475 Public Relations
- 3 MCOM 494 Internship*
Required Electives - 9 semester hours
Take 3 courses from the following:
- 3 BADM 336 Entrepreneurship I
- 3 BADM 372 Advertising
- 3 BADM 475 Consumer Behavior
- 3 MCOM 257 Intermediate Desktop Publishing
- 3 MCOM 265 Basic Photography
- 3 MCOM 330 Writing For Digital Media
- 3 MCOM 373 Public Relations Case Study
- 3 MCOM 448 Interactive Multimedia Design
- 3 SPCM 410 Organizational Communication
*The internship will serve as a capstone experience. Students will work within a business/communication setting and be mentored closely by a faculty advisor. The internship and related writing requirements will tie the corporate communication curriculum together and serve as a capstone experience.
Corporate Communication combines the techniques and skills in both corporate and mass communication areas to give you an advantage in your job search.
Graduates from this program will be prepared to enter careers in public relations, marketing, corporate advertising, corporate communication, electronic media, broadcast management, writing production and management, event management, technical communication, and others.
The U.S. Department of Labor stated that an entry-level position within the advertising industry, which includes management, now requires combined knowledge from several areas. A major in corporate communications will give you that edge. The Department of Labor also found that the advertising and communication industry will grow an estimated 19% between 2006 and 2016 compared to 16% of all industries combined.
Whether you are looking for a job in South Dakota or far away, at Black Hills State University you will have the education you need to get ahead and find a career as a Corporate Communication graduate.
*Current students, please refer to the DegreeWorks Dashboard in MyBHSU to confirm your major requirements.