BHSU announces approval of 2-year MBA program

The Rapid City region now has access to a two-year MBA program offered at Black Hills State University – Rapid City.

The MBA, which has been available at BHSU-RC through the BHSU School of Business since 2010, was recently streamlined and is now a two-year, Master of Business Administration (MBA) Program in Applied Management effective now.

MBA Program Director and Professor Don Looney said, “The recent changes reflect the desire of students and employers for a high quality, AACSB Accredited, ten-course, 30 credit hour program that can be completed in just two years. Course delivery remains primarily face-to-face/hybrid, taught exclusively by academically and professionally qualified faculty resulting in the lowest cost, best value MBA program in the region.”

The BHSU MBA program has already produced a number of successful graduates who, as a result of earning the MBA, are not only contributing to the economic growth of the Black Hills region, but are personally benefiting with promotion opportunities.

“We are proud of the accomplishments of our graduates and are proud of our program,” Looney said. “Students appreciate our small class sizes of 20 students and the opportunity to earn a high-quality MBA for under $12,000 in tuition.”

Graduate Matt Hackett, promoted to Sales Manager at McKie Ford Lincoln in Rapid City, said, “Earning my MBA through BHSU has affected my career in a number of positive ways. My career path since earning my MBA has opened unlimited opportunities. I’ve been promoted twice within the organization I’m currently employed with, in addition to receiving multiple offers from other companies both local and national seeking my employment. Employers understand that MBA graduates are serious about success in leadership, problem solving, and decision making.”

Mark McKie, of McKie Ford Lincoln and Matt’s employer added, “The MBA has helped Matt see the bigger picture and how it all interrelates. I’ve been honored to be a guest speaker in the MBA Strategic Management classes and the professors are giving their students real life examples from local business leaders on real world business examples and principles. They are preparing their students to be ready for the changes and challenges they may face.”

David Emery, Chairman, President and CEO of Black Hills Corp., has been another guest lecturer in the MBA program. One of his recently promoted employees, and a graduate of the BHSU MBA program, is Amber Cornella. Amber, who earned her MBA while working as Human Resource Manager at Black Hills Corp. was recently promoted to Engineering Resources Manager at Black Hills Energy.

“Earning an MBA helped me to develop more in-depth knowledge of the broad business concepts I learned as an undergraduate,” Amber said of the program. “ I believe it also helped open the door to opportunities in new areas within my company that might not have been possible if I had pursued a more specialized degree instead. I recommend the BHSU MBA program to prospective students who value the face-to-face aspects of the classroom environment and the accountability it brings. The relationships built through the time spent together cannot be replicated through an on-line only program.”

Looney noted that the new program is attractive to out-of-state and international students who are interested in a two-year MBA program and who want to live in the beautiful Black Hills region.

Interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the BHSU website www.BHSU.edu/MBA or contact Dr. Barbara Looney, MBA Program Coordinator, at barbara.looney@BHSU.edu  or Don Looney, MBA Program Director, at don.looney@BHSU.edu  for more information.