6 questions with 6 BHSU Grads: Alex Hancock

Full-time jobs, travels across the world, and advanced degrees. In this series “6 questions with 6 grads,” Black Hills State University will highlight the future plans of some of the University’s May 2018 graduates.

Name, Location, and Major?
I’m Alex Hancock. I’m originally from Jordan, Minnesota and I’m double majoring in corporate communications and graphic design.

What are your plans after graduation?
I recently accepted a position with Evergreen Media in Rapid City. I will be starting there after I take a two-week road trip to some National Parks. I’ll start at Evergreen Media May 21st. My job title there is social media manager. I’ll be running their social media accounts and then also helping plan their events they put on as well as print publications.

What will you miss most about BHSU?
I will really miss the location. I love being so close to the Canyon. The campus is really awesome, knowing everyone, everywhere; the community that it builds, it’s really nice to have a smaller campus where you feel like you can actually know everyone. 

What’s your favorite memory at BHSU?
My favorite memory is the trip I got to take as part of the International Service Learning Program to the Philippines to teach at a local school there. It was my first time leaving the country. It was a really unforgettable experience and I made some awesome friends that I’m still really close with today.

How has BHSU prepared you for your future?
BHSU has given me a wide array of classes, so I feel like I have knowledge in a lot of different areas. The University has also given me a greater confidence in myself to be able to feel like I can go into the workforce well prepared.

Who is your favorite professor?
I would have to say, there’s more than one, but I’ve had Gina Gibson, associate professor of digital communication, in classes since my freshman year, she’s really awesome. And both Dr. Courtney Huse- Wika, associate professor of English, and Kelly Kirk, instructor of history, have been really helpful throughout the Honors Program and helping me get to where I am today.

Nearly 390 graduates will be recognized during the 175th BHSU Commencement Ceremony at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 5 at the Donald E. Young Sports and Fitness Center. The public is invited to join and celebrate the students’ achievements. Degrees to be awarded include 66 master’s degrees, 294 bachelor’s degrees, and 28 associate’s degrees. An honorary doctorate will be bestowed upon Dr. Lowell Amiotte, Oglala Lakota and a 1964 graduate of BHSU.