Student Support Services at BHSU announces Students of the Month

Four Black Hills State University students are being recognized for their accomplishments by TRiO Student Support Services (SSS). The fall 2017 SSS Students of the Month at BHSU are:

December: Lyric Delgarito, special education major from Winner
Lyric Delgarito was nominated by Summer DiGioia, SSS retention advisor, who said, “Lyric puts forth effort and positivity in all that she does. Lyric is a very dedicated college student who has such enthusiasm and excitement when it comes to college.” Lyric says she struggled to understand the material during her early years in school. It wasn’t until she asked for help in her junior year of high school that she was tested and diagnosed with a reading disability. This diagnosis opened the door to new resources, which Lyric was eager to use. Lyric said, “I feel that seeking out help in areas you do not understand is the first step. I learned that hard work goes a long way and that failure is not a breaking point or a reason to quit, but a reason to persevere.” Lyric’s long-term goals are to return to her home reservation of Rosebud and work as a Special Education teacher to help youth overcome their challenges and follow their dreams. Lyric said, “My people deserve a great education and future for themselves.”

November: Tori Fulton, special education major from Cheyenne, Wyo.
Tori Fulton realized that Special Education was the field for her when she babysat her neighbor’s child who had disabilities. At BHSU, Tori joined SSS and became an active peer mentor. Tori stated, “I had never achieved a 4.0 in high school. I didn’t try as hard then. I realized once I got to college that I needed to try harder and get more involved. This past semester I ended with a 4.0 GPA, and I now am working on keeping my grades up.” Tori has actively used the math and English tutoring services provided through SSS. Susan Hupp, SSS director, thanks Tori for serving as a peer mentor for SSS this year, assisting new students in their adjustment to college life. Susan said, “Thanks, Tori, for being an awesome peer mentor, working hard, helping others, and setting the bar high.”

October: Katherine Kemp, a history major with a minor in philosophy from Spearfish
Katherine Kemp did not begin her college career right out of high school, but recently decided to pursue a degree and chose history as her major. Katherine said, “Thanks to my mother, who raised me to have an interest in my family history, I know my roots back to the 1400s in England and to the 1600s in Sweden.” Katherine’s dream job is to work at the Regional State Archives in Uppsala, Sweden, where she would be able to continue to learn about her family history and help others do the same. Debbie Liddick, SSS math specialist, nominated Katherine for this honor, noting, “Katherine tackled her math with grit and perseverance, as well as a positive attitude!” Tom Stulken, SSS writing specialist, added, “Katherine is one of the hardest workers I have met in all the years I’ve worked for SSS.”

September: Taylor Escott, mass communication major with an emphasis in photography and a minor in business communications from Rapid City
Taylor Escott was nominated by SSS advisor Peggy Madrid who said, “Taylor has a willingness to utilize the program’s resources and to accept positive advice in the areas of time management and study skills.  Because of this, she was able to reach one of her short-term goals of making the Dean’s List!” Taylor is now looking forward to graduation in May 2018. She is passionate about using her photography major to change social injustices.

For more information on the Student Support Services program at BHSU, contact Susan Hupp, director of SSS, at 605-642-6824 or Susan.Hupp@BHSU.edu

Student Support Services is one of seven federal TRiO programs, funded by the U.S. Department of Education.  Services provided at BHSU as part of SSS program include tutoring, as well as academic, career, personal, and financial advisement.

To be considered for the SSS program, students must either be a first-generation college student (neither parent has earned a bachelor’s degree); meet income eligibility criteria; or have a documented disability.

Students of the Month are selected based on their commitment and attitude with academics and the SSS program.
Headshot - Lyric Delgarito
Lyric Delgarito, special education major from Winner

Headshot - Tori Fulton
Tori Fulton, special education major from Cheyenne, Wyo.

Headshot - Katherine Kemp
Katherine Kemp, history major from Spearfish

Headshot - Taylor Escott
Taylor Escott, mass communication major from Rapid City