Army ROTC student to represent BHSU in Army All American Bowl

Cadet Tate Jackson, a sociology major from Parmelee, has been selected to represent Black Hills State University and the BHSU Army ROTC program in the January 2018 U.S. Army All American Bowl and Combine as a Cadet Marshall in San Antonio, Texas. He was nominated by a professor of military science at BHSU because of his community service, leadership skills and 3.9 GPA.

Cadet Tate Jackson, a sociology major at Black Hills State University from Parmelee, has been selected for the U.S. Army All American Bowl and Combine as a Cadet Marshall in San Antonio, Texas, in January.

Jackson was chosen out of more than 6,000 applicants because of his leadership abilities, dedication to community service and maintaining a 3.9 GPA as a sociology major.

The U.S. Army All American Bowl gathers the nation's top football athletes and provides an opportunity for them to demonstrate their abilities to a crowd that includes high-profile college and NFL scouts. Jackson will assist in the events as a Cadet Marshall and will attend the bowl game at the Alamodome on Jan. 6.

"It is a really big honor," said Jackson. "I was pretty excited when I found out I had been selected."  

Captain Jeremy Deloach, assistant professor of military science at BHSU, nominated Jackson for the opportunity.

"Tate is one of our best cadets at BHSU," said Deloach. "He is always volunteering to do community service, has great leadership skills and manages to keep a high GPA."

This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is exciting for Jackson, who was the captain of his varsity football team at Todd County High School and is a member of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. He is looking forward to the trip to San Antonio and watching the football game from the stands. Sight-seeing and visiting the Alamo are also on his agenda.

"I like to travel and to go out and get as much experience as I can," said Jackson. "I hope to become a worldly person."

Jackson's BHSU advisor, Dr. Laura Colmenero-Chilberg, professor of sociology at BHSU, was not surprised to hear that Jackson had been chosen for this exclusive opportunity. She noted that Tate is a hardworking student.

Jackson has also impressed Dr. Trenton Ellis, assistant professor of human services, in his class work.

"It pleases me to see Tate recognized since he is exactly the kind of citizen and person we should celebrate," said Ellis.

Jackson credits his ROTC experience in helping him prepare for opportunities such as this and for his future career.

"I really enjoy ROTC and think it's a really good experience," said Jackson. "Even for people who do not plan on going into the military, ROTC provides good structure."

The future looks bright for Jackson after his college career at BHSU.

"When I graduate in 2020 I'll be commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army and I would like to go active duty," said Jackson.

BHSU offers an ROTC program and a minor in military science. Army ROTC is one of the nation's top leadership programs, with a wide range of benefits. BHSU's Army ROTC provides individuals with the tools, training and experiences they need to become officers in the U.S. Army. For more information visit: www.BHSU.edu/ROTC