BHSU student Chase Vogel reflects on vast opportunities as graduation day nears

Black Hills State University student Chase Vogel will earn his degree in business administration with an emphasis in economics and finance on Saturday, Dec. 12 at 10 a.m. in the Donald E. Young Sports and Fitness Center.

As Chase Vogel prepares to earn his degree on Dec. 12, he reflects on his time at Black Hills State University and the everlasting impressions the University faculty, staff and students have left him with. Vogel will use his experiences and vast relationships as he applies to become a U.S. Ambassador in Germany.  

"I realize all the relationships and connections I've made run deep. I know they will always be there even as I leave campus," Vogel said.

Vogel, who will earn a degree in business administration with an emphasis in economics and finance, built an impressive resume while a student at BHSU.

A Cheyenne, Wyo. native, Vogel immediately got involved as a freshman. Vogel was involved in a host of activities from student organizations to task forces to residence life. Primarily, however, Vogel was known for his extensive leadership on campus through the BHSU Student Senate where he served as president from 2013 to 2015.

Through his involvement with the Student Senate, Vogel worked closely with Dr. Jane Klug, who he said greatly inspired him over the years.

"Her impact on me was incredible," he said.

Vogel also was actively involved with BHSU Residence Life. He began as a resident's assistant, but worked his way up to assistant complex director, a position he greatly respected.

"My best memories come from my time as an assistant complex director in Pangburn Hall," Vogel said. "I got to work and live with some incredible residents."

Vogel traveled overseas through the Alternative Spring Break program at BHSU, and during his time as Student Senate president, he traveled to Germany, creating international relationships at BHSU partner school Aalen University.

BHSU offered a whole conglomerate of experiences from leadership outside of the classroom to extensive knowledge and study within the classroom, Vogel said. Those experiences, coupled with the internship opportunities, helped him excel.

The international experiences and leadership opportunities he gained while at BHSU greatly benefit Vogel as he is in the application process to become a U.S. Ambassador in Germany. If accepted, Vogel will spend a year overseas as an intern, while completing intensive language courses and other German classes as well as volunteer work.

"I am confident moving forward," Vogel said. "Because I chose to pursue my degree at Black Hills State University, I have the experience, the tools and the confidence to achieve my goals."

And as he completes his time at the University, he said that there is one thing that he will take with him when he goes.

"Every day there is an opportunity to make the world a better place, whether it's on a small level or a big level you just have to set your mind to it and you will find the resources to do so," Vogel said.