Faculty Senate Minutes
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Meier Hall 127
John Alsup, Pamela Carriveau, Gina Gibson, David Crawford, Kara Keeter, Jim Hesson, Dorothy Fuller, Aris Karagiorgakis, Parthasarathi Nag, Rocky Maier (Student Senate President).Visitors: Rodney Custer, Priscilla Romkema, and Katrina Jensen.
1. Call meeting to order – 3:18 p.m.
2. Approval of the Agenda
3. Chemistry Program Accreditation Request. Dr. Rodney Custer, Dr. Priscilla Romkema, and Dr. Katrina Jensen attended the meeting to explain this request. There is a desire to grow the Chemistry program. The chemistry program has already reached several of the requirements for American Chemical Society accreditation such as an increase in faculty numbers, curriculum, and lab updates. One goal is that ACS accreditation will help with recruitment. All of the other universities in the SD system have this accreditation.There is no annual fee to maintain ACS certification. Some questions from thefaculty senators included concerns about how this will affect general education courses and teaching load. This accreditation should not negatively affect general education courses. It should have a positive impact on our masters programs such as Integrative Genomics. Another concern was about paying for and maintaining equipment. Generally equipment has been covered by grant money such as EPSCoR. The expectation is that Chemistry will continue to get equipment through grants.
Faculty Senate voted to approve this request.
4. Dr. Custer has offered to attend Faculty Senate meetings as needed or requested.
5. Discussion of using Google Docs for Faculty Senate Agendas. There will be a trial period for a few weeks to see if we wantto use Google Docs.
6. Appointments Committee, discussion of open seats.
7. According to Rocky Maier, Student Senate is seeking nominations for an open position for a non-traditional student senator.
8. Meeting adjourned 4:10 p.m.
Minutes recorded and respectfully submitted by Gina Gibson.