Dining Services at BHSU

Resident Meal Plans

For Academic Year 2020-2021 (prices are per semester)

  • Yellow Jacket - $1,649.88 (Standard Plan)
    Provides 150 meals, Sunday through Saturday per semester, plus $150 Dining Dollars  
  • Swarm 180 - $1,842.22 (Optional Plan)
    Provides 180 meals, Sunday through Saturday per semester, plus $150 Dining Dollars  
  • Suite Deal - $889.54 (available only for students residing in the Yellow Jacket Apartments)
    Provides 85 meals, Sunday through Saturday per semester, plus $50 Dining Dollars.

Students must present their Buzz Card at each meal or whenever Dining Dollars or Buzz Bucks are used as payment.

Dining Dollars may be used in the Hive, the Buzz Shack or Einstein's Bagels.  Any unused Dining Dollars on a student's Buzz Card carry over from the fall to the spring semester; however, any left at the end of the spring semester are forfeited.

All guests are welcome!  Individual meal prices are posted in the Dining Center.  Dining Dollars, Buzz Bucks, cash, checks and credit cards are accepted.

For additional information call Krista Schroeder at (605) 642-6896, email Krista.Schroeder@BHSU.edu or visit Dining Services.

Commuter Meal Plan

Commuter Students, Faculty and Staff Meal Plans 

40 Block Plan

40 All you care to eat meals in the Hive Dining Center

$292.17 (tax included)

20 Block Plan

20 All you care to eat meals in the Hive Dining Center

$166.69 (tax included)


*Commuter - Faculty/Staff meals carry over from the fall to spring semester; any left at the end of spring semester, will be forfeited.

General Information


Per the SD Board of Regents (SDBOR), all students living in the Residence Halls (Crow Peak, Wenona Cook, Heidepreim, Humbert, Thomas and Campus Apts) are required to have a meal plan.  To clarify this point, SDBOR policy requires unmarried students to live on-campus during their first two years of school.  Specifically, the policy reads as follows:  'During the first two years when they were or would have graduated from high school, all unmarried students who enroll in courses delivered on the main campus for six (6) credit hours or more are required to enter into a housing agreement with the institution unless special permission to room elsewhere is received.'

A'viands dining policy is that all food must be consumed while dining in the Hive.  Should a student have a situation where he or she cannot eat in the Hive, prior arrangements must be made with the director or assistant director.  In keeping with our 'think green' agenda, to go containers create landfill waste that A'viands is actively working to eliminate.

All meal plans are set for seven days per week with two meals on Saturday and Sunday.  Holidays are no exception.  A Buzz card can be swiped only once for breakfast, once for lunch and once for dinner, Monday through Friday.  It can only be swiped once for brunch and once for dinner on weekends and holidays.


Nondiscrimination:  In accordance with federal law and US Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital or family status.

What if I have a complaint?
There is a supervisor on duty at all meals who will be able to handle your questions or complaints.

Can I change my meal plan after the semester begins?
Meal Plans may be changed within the first week of each semester by amending the original contract.  A 'Meal Plan Change' contract may be obtained at the Student Union Administrative Office Suite. After the first week of each semester your choice of plan is final.

Is my BUZZ card required to access Meal Plan meals or Dining Dollars?
Your BUZZ card is your meal ticket. You must present your BUZZ card each time you use a meal and every time you use Dining Dollars. Meals on BUZZ cards are only valid for the assigned person.  It is important that you comply with these restrictions in order to help us offer you the best meals for the lowest prices.

When is the Hive open?

Monday through Friday: 
Breakfast 7:00am - 9:30am
Lunch 10:45am - 1:30pm
Dinner 5:00pm - 7:00pm

Saturday and Sunday:
Brunch 11:00am - 1:00pm
     Entree, Salad Bar, Dessert
Dinner 5:00pm - 6:30pm
     Entree, Salad Bar, Dessert

Holiday hours will be posted outside of the Hive at the cashier stand.

How will I know what is being served?
Menus are posted at Dining Services on the BHSU website.

What if I require a special diet?
Dining Services will do their best to meet the needs of any student on a special diet.  Students on special, physician prescribed diets may have meals specially prepared. To receive specially prepared meals, bring a physician's description of the prescribed diet to the Dining Services office and make arrangements with the Dining Services Director or Production Supervisor.

What if I am a vegetarian?
Students who are vegetarians may sign up for our vegetarian program.  At the beginning of each semester, vegetarian students should discuss their diet with the Director of Dining Services or the Production Supervisor.  A vegetarian entree is offered with every lunch and dinner.

Can I get my meal to go?
A'viands' dining policy is that all food must be consumed while dining in the Hive. Should a student have a situation where he or she cannot eat in the Hive (BHSU class schedule conflict, BHSU sports practice, game time conflict, etc.), arrangements may be made in advance with the director or assistant director for the student to take his or her meal to go. 

What if I cannot eat during the posted serving times?
You may use your meal plan at the Buzz Shack or Einstein's Bagels for pre-set breakfast and lunch options.  Select your breakfast or lunch option, present your Buzz Card for payment and let the cashier know you're paying by meal plan equivalency. Once the cashier swipes your Buzz Card at the register, one meal is deducted from your meal plan.

How do I use my Dining Dollars?
Dining Dollars may be used any day of the week (including weekends) to purchase meals at the Hive.  Dining Dollars may also be used at the Buzz Shack or at Einstein's Bagels.  Dining Dollars carry forward only from the fall semester to the spring semester; any Dining Dollars unused at the end of the spring semester are forfeited.

Can students living off-campus eat in the Hive?
Yes, students living off-campus may dine at the Hive any time it is open.  Payment may be made in the form of cash, check, credit/debit card or BUZZ bucks.  In addition, off-campus students may purchase any of the meal plans offered to resident students.  Please see the Dining Services office manager at the Student Union Administrative Office if you would like to purchase a meal plan.

Am I required to have a meal plan?
All students living in the Residence Halls and Campus Suites are required by the Board of Regents to have a meal plan.  

Is the Hive a smoke-free environment?
Yes, in response to a directive of the Board of Regents and the State Fire Marshal, the dining room is a non-smoking area.

Is there a dress code?
According to State Health Codes, proper shirt and shoes must be worn in the dining room at all times.

Can I use my meal plan for a guest?
Guests are welcome to dine at the Hive; however, you may not use your meal plan to pay for their meal.  Instead, you can use your Dining Dollars, BUZZ Bucks, cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for a guest's meal. Meal prices are posted at the Hive and at Dining Services on the BHSU website. 

What if I am sick?
If a student with a meal plan is ill, sick trays are available.  The student must contact their Resident Hall Director who will order the sick tray from Dining Services. The student is responsible for arranging delivery of the tray.  Contact your Resident Assistant or Resident Hall Director for help in arranging delivery if you need assistance. 

Will I receive a refund for meals I don't use by the end of the semester?
Meal plans must be used within the semester for which they were purchased; you will not receive a refund for unused meals. On the other hand, Dining Dollars carry forward from the fall semester to the spring semester. Any Dining Dollars unused by the end of the spring semester are forfeited. If you are withdrawing from classes, see the FAQ titled 'If I withdraw from school can I get a refund?'

If I withdraw from school can I get a refund?
Students who withdraw from Black Hills State University prior to the tenth week of the semester will receive a proportional refund for unused meals; withdrawals after the tenth week will receive no refunds. Refunds will be calculated per the approved refund schedule. Discretionary food dollars will be refunded at 100% of the unused balance as of the date of withdrawal.

Exemption/Appeal Process

The South Dakota Board of Regents policy manual states that “during the first two years from the time they were or would have been graduated from high school, all unmarried students who enroll in courses delivered on a main campus for six credit hours or more are required to enter into a dining agreement with the institution unless special permission to room elsewhere is received from the institution. Permission ordinarily shall be granted to students with dependent children or to students who reside full time during the academic year with parents or legal guardians. Students who have enrolled for 12 or more credits for four (4) semesters may be exempted from this agreement at the discretion of the institution.”

This residency requirement serves important educational and developmental purposes. Education professionals widely recognize that where students live their freshman and sophomore years has a significant impact on the quality of their academic and personal preparation for post-collegiate life. Students prosper in stable living environments that are close to academic resources and organized student activities that promote social interaction and exposure to new and diverse life experiences, and that afford supervision, counseling, and other assistance as may be needed. In short, on-campus residency provides unparalleled opportunities for multi-dimensional student development and is part of the university’s broad educational program.

The Dining Contract Policy is strictly enforced. However, BHSU recognizes that some off-campus living and dining circumstances may closely approximate the advantages of on-campus residency. Also, some students may have living and dining requirements that the University cannot accommodate on campus. The following exemptions will be considered:

Exemption Categories

After proper documentation and university inquiry, students may qualify for an exemption to the Dining Policy.

1Married Exemption:

Students requesting a release because they are married must meet the following criteria:

  • A copy of a valid marriage certificate must be submitted to the Residence Life office before a release can be approved or rent charges cancelled.
  • The release date will not be earlier than the date of marriage.
  • 1Legal Dependent Exemption:

    A copy of the dependent’s birth certificate must be provided to the Residence Life office before a release can be granted.

    1Commuter Exemption:

    A commuter exemption may be granted to students desiring to live at the permanent residence of a parent or legal guardian within 50 miles of campus.

    1Financial Hardship Exemption:

    Applicants requesting release based on verifiable extenuating circumstances must obtain a Supplemental Financial Need Verification Form from Dining Services. Releases are not based upon the assertion that living off campus may be cheaper. A release will be considered when the applicant has a significant verified need for financial aid as defined by the personnel of the BHSU Student Financial Services Office and Dining Services and that need is not fully funded by university financial aid.
    When financial circumstances are created by situations over which you have no control (such as a loss of parental support due to death, divorce, loss of employment, catastrophic health issues, bankruptcy) which create a financial hardship.

    1Physical Health Exemption:

    Applicants requesting a release based on this criterion must provide information from the attending physician stating the specific verifiable condition for which it is medically necessary for the student to be released and why specific off-campus housing and dining would provide better living conditions in regard to this medical condition.
    Applicants must obtain a Supplemental Medical Need Verification Form from Dining Services. The form must be completed in detail and signed by the attending physician. Applicants may be asked to get a second opinion from BHSU Student Health Services or other referral physicians. Paperwork must be complete before a decision is rendered.

    1Mental Health Exemption:

    Applicants requesting a release based on mental health or emotional needs must provide a specific psychological recommendation from a licensed mental health care provider. Applicants not seeing University Counseling Center personnel must provide the Dining Services with a written statement evaluating the student’s specific needs or problems written by a certified mental health care giver.