Buzzcard at BHSU


Security BHSU has provided students, faculty, and staff with a Buzz Card including the types of accounts and security access that is needed on campus. Each cardholder shall help maintain the integrity of the system by immediately reporting lost cards and notifying campus security or the Buzz Card Office if they witness doors propped open, abuse of the card readers, or any other unauthorized use of a person's Buzz Card.

Report lost or stolen Buzz Cards to the Buzz Card Office: 605.642.6513 | Monday - Friday 605.642.6299 | Nights and weekends

You may also log in to and report your card stolen to have it immediately deactivated.

Issues or concerns with your account If you believe there is a problem with your account or that a mistake was made, contact the Buzz Card Office at 605.642.6513 or email

Payroll Deduction Faculty and staff have a convenient method of adding funds to their Buzz Bucks account through payroll deduction. The funds are posted to your Buzz Bucks account on the last working day of each month. Faculty with a nine month contract will have a deduction made on their checks from September to May. The payroll deduction form can be printed and mailed to either University Support Services or the Human Resource Office. Please contact the Buzz Card Office if you have any questions concerning the payroll deduction program.

What you can do at the online card office:

  • Holders of a Buzz Card including faculty, staff, students and departmental Buzz Cards can view transactions and review the balance of funds on their card.
  • Add funds to your Buzz Bucks account.

How to use your online Buzz Card account:  

  • To log on, the customer number for Buzz Card holders is your firstname.lastname as one word and no capitals.
  • Sign-in is the same as your university email account
  •  For first time use, the user needs to edit their personal information and input the card number printed on the front of the their Buzz Card. The field for email address should be the BHSU email address.
  •  The on-line card office is

Frequently Asked Questions

What does a Buzz Bucks account cost?

There is no charge to start up a Buzz Bucks account. When you obtain a Buzz Card, you automatically have an account.  Any dollar amount may be deposited to your account at the Buzz Card located in Room 106 of the Student Union, Library, or any Cash-to-Card Machine - one of which is located in each campus building, or through the on-line card office

How can I get a Buzz Bucks account?

When you get your Buzz Card you automatically have an account. If you wish to deposit dollars to your account with a credit card, all you have to do is update your personal information in the on-line card office Be sure you update the card number using the number from the front of your Buzz Card. Place that information in the Card Number block in the Personal Information section. You can then deposit dollars on-line to the Buzz Bucks portion of your Buzz Card. If you have questions concerning depositing dollars on-line or have problems setting up your personal information, please call the Buzz Card Office at (605) 642-6513.

Can I get a refund from my Buzz Bucks account?

Buzz Bucks may be refunded only if you are transferring to another school, leaving Black Hills State University, or you are graduating. Buzz Bucks remain on your account through your entire stay at Black Hills State University.

If you would like a refund on your Buzz Bucks account, please stop in the Buzz Card Office (Facility Services Room 202) and complete a written request. In approximately two weeks you will receive your refund check in the mail. Balances under $5 are not refundable.

Can I put money on my Buzz Card account using a Credit Card?

You may place dollars in your account using a credit card by utilizing the on-line card office, the E. Y. Berry Library Learning Center, or the Information Desk located in the Student Union Room 106.

What if I lose my Buzz Card?

It is important that you notify the Buzz Card Office (642-6513) immediately because your Buzz card can be used by anyone to purchase items from vending machines, copy machines, etc. Once notified, we will freeze your account so that your lost card cannot be used. If you find a card belonging to some else, please turn it in to The Buzz Card Office . If you lose your card you can also report it lost using the Lost/Stolen card information found under "My Accounts" on the on-line card office.

Where Can I Get a Buzz card?

Your Buzz card will be available for you during a New Student Registration day, at the Information Desk in the Student Union, or the Buzz Card Office. You will only need one Buzz card for your entire academic career unless it gets lost.

How to obtain an Buzz Card:

  • Visit the Information Desk in the Student Union or the Buzz Card Office located in Room 106 of the Student Union.
  • You will need:
    • Proof of registration at Black Hills State University (copy of class schedule)
    • Attend a New Student Registration session and bring a photo identification card