Human Resources Department

Workers' Compensation Information

As a South Dakota state employee, you are covered by an insurance program that pays medical and disability benefits for work-related injuries and diseases. The worker's compensation program for state employees is administered by the Bureau of Human Resources.  If you are injured or contract an occupational disease and the injury or disease arises out of and in the course of your employment, you must report it electronically no later than three (3) business days after the occurrence.

Injury Reporting: 

To electronically file your work-related injury or disease, click on the following link: First Report of Injury.  

NOTE: Failure by the employee to file the claim withing (3) business days of occurrence may result in denial of a claim. Report the circumstance of the injury or disease to your immediate supervisor. If you need assistance, you may contact the secretary of your department or Human Resources.

What if I'm not sure if I have a Claim? 

FILE!!! If you think you may have a claim, you should file and let the system do the deciding. No claim is too small to file for you never know what may come of it later.

Workers' Compensation Resources: 

If you have any questions concerning your Worker’s Compensation claim, please call the Bureau of Human Resources at (605) 773-3148, or visit the Workers' Compensation Program website.