Fall registration for the South Dakota Stock Market Game Program is now open. The fall trading session begins Monday, October 5 and ends on Friday, December 11.
The SMG program is identified as a leader in youth financial education and has proven to raise math, economic and personal finance test scores. Nationwide, nearly 600,000 students from all 50 states participate each year. For more information or to register, visit https://www.stockmarketgame.org
A series of free teacher-training workshops will be conducted online for registered teachers prior to and during trading sessions. Different dates and times will be available to accommodate teacher’s class schedules.
Each webinar is approximately 30 minutes and divided into the following topics:
– market economic news, SMG topics
SMG The Basics
– reviewing rules, teacher resources, SMG portfolio
Basic Company Research
– using Yahoo and Nasdaq, basic terminology, company headlines
Winning with Diversification
– strategies for building a diversified portfolio with socks, bonds and mutual funds
Let’s Trade Today!
– overview of SMG portfolio and how to get students trading
Weekly Team Portfolio Analysis
– team analysis of major indexes and portfolio holdings
SMG Teacher Resources
– lessons, tests and other publications
Handling Market Volatility
– SMG strategies to offset swings in market performance
SMG Team Portfolio Building Strategies
– exploring various risk levels while investing in dividend stocks, sustainable stocks, sector stocks and diversified ETFs, mutual funds and bonds
The $10 team registration fee includes access to online team-trading screens and a Teacher Support Center with online lesson plans by grade level, subject and classroom activities.
The SDSMG is an online stock market simulation where student teams research and purchase a portfolio of stocks and compete for cash prizes in middle school, high school and college divisions. The program is the only online stock simulation endorsed by the South Dakota Council on Economic Education.
Students who participate receive free entry to InvestWrite, a successful writing activity where students submit online essays judged by investment professions. Winning essays receive state and national awards, including a chance to win a trip to the New York Stock Exchange. Learn more at www.investwrite.org
The SDSMG is sponsored by the Black Hills State University Center for Economic Education, the Securities Industry Financial Markets Association and the South Dakota Council on Economic Education.
For more information, contact Professor and SDSMG Coordinator Don Altmyer at DonAltmyer@BHSU.edu