Spearfish, which is already considered an “outdoor paradise,” will turn into an “island paradise” when Black Hills State University celebrates its annual homecoming Sept. 5-9.
The 2017 Swarm Week theme is “Swarmin’ in Paradise” and the students, who are already gathering flower leis and ukuleles in anticipation, invite the community to join the fun.
Mikkayla DeBolt, business administration-tourism and hospitality major from Sheridan, Wyo., and head chair of the Swarm Week Committee, said she is looking forward to seeing the community at many of the week’s events.
“Swarm Week is a great time to unite our entire student body but also to unite us with the community,” said DeBolt. “It’s a fun and exciting week where memories are made and traditions are created. We have many fun and exciting events going on.”
The community is invited to several events including a carnival for children and the annual parade through Spearfish. DeBolt said businesses and organizations are still welcome to register floats for the parade through Sept. 6.
The first event of Swarm Week is a Luau on the Campus Green. DeBolt said all activities are centered on the tropics including a giant outdoor ‘slip n slide,’ night yoga, and a bonfire.
“I’m most excited for PyroTechnic, the fire throwing group that will perform Sept. 5. There has never been an event like this on campus so it will be new,” said DeBolt. “I’m really excited to see them perform!”
2017 Swarm Week Schedule of Events:
Tuesday, Sept. 5
· Banner Competition Judging
· Department/Office Decorating Competition Judging
· Luau, 5-7 p.m., Campus Green
· PyroTechniq Fire Performers, 7 p.m., Campus Green, co-sponsored by Campus Activities Board
Wednesday, Sept. 6
· Voting for King and Queen
· Kiddie Carnival, 4-6 p.m., outside underneath the Jonas Skywalk
· Night Yoga, 6 p.m., Campus Green, co-sponsored by Rec Sports
· Late Night Movie showing “Moana,” 8 p.m., Schallenkamp Amphitheater, sponsored by Residence Hall Association
Thursday, Sept. 7
· Rec Sports Field Day, 1-3 p.m., Campus Green
· Coronation, 7 p.m., Meier Hall
· Burning of the BH, directly following Coronation, Meier Circle
· Dance, 8-11 p.m., Club Buzz
Friday, Sept. 8
· Alumni Awards Luncheon, 12 p.m., Joy Center, reserve tickets by calling 605-642-6385
· Hike to the H, 3 p.m., co-sponsored by Collegiate Outdoor Leadership Program
· Float Prep, 5-9 p.m., Young Center Field House
· Giant Slip N Slide, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Hill by the Young Center, co-sponsored by BHSU Connection
· Hall of Fame Banquet, 6 p.m., Jacket Legacy Room, reserve tickets by calling 605-642-6385
· Bonfire, 9 p.m., Crow Peak Recreation Area
Saturday, Sept. 9
· Parade, 10 a.m., Jackson Blvd. and Main Street
· Tailgate, 11:15 a.m., Campus Hillside by Lyle Hare Stadium
· BHSU Football Game, 1 p.m., Lyle Hare Stadium, Ticket prices: Reserved (All Ages) - $15; Adult General Admission - $12; Youth General Admission (Ages 6-18) - $8; Senior General Admission (Ages 65+) - $8
· Tiki Hut, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Student Union Atrium