The Writing Center is here for your writing needs. Our goals are to
- enable you to compose more fluently, with less apprehension and fear.
- assist you in writing and revising your work.
- provide support when you are struggling with a writing project.
- assist you with the further development of your critical thinking skills
- help you develop “reader-based” prose (writing with the needs of the audience in mind) as opposed to “writer based prose,” (writing that only the writer understands well), thus better meeting the requirements of academic discourse.
- acquaint you with the conventions and expectations of academic writing.
- help you become a stronger and more diverse writer.
Where To Find Us:
The Black Hills State University Writing Center is located on the first floor of the E. Y. Berry Library. The Writing Center is open Monday through Thursday 10:00-8:00, Friday 9:00-3:00, and Sunday 2:00-8:00.
When To Make An Appointment:
The consultants at the Writing Center are there to help you at any step in the writing process. Schedule your sessions early and often; you can meet with a consultant as many times as you wish during the course of a project.
A session will be beneficial to you when you are:
·choosing and narrowing a topic
·; generating ideas for support and development
The Writing Center staff can also help you with critical reading and comprehension; schedule a session to discuss course materials and articles.
In addition to these services, the Writing Center can also help you and your group members with group writing projects; please be sure to indicate the number of writers in the group when scheduling a session.
For tips on preparing for a session and what to expect when meeting with a consultant, see "Preparing For a Session."
How To Make an Appointment:
Walk-ins at our library location are welcome, but you may have to wait until a consultant is available. To schedule an appointment you may fill out our appointment form, you can drop by and sign up for a time that works for you, email email@example.com, or call and set up an appointment at 642-6922.
We also offer online assistance for distance and commuter students.
The Writing Center also offers links for help with writing questions. Handouts includes advice on prewriting, revising, grammar, punctuation, formatting, and more.
- Online Writing Resources
Online writing resources offers links for fun and informative writing tips.
We look forward to working with you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!