The Writing Assistance Center provides the following student-centered services for faculty:
(NEW!) Writing Referral Program:
- Individualized conferences for students at any stage of the writing process
- In-class, small-group peer review workshops on writing assignments or drafts
- Tailored, in-class workshops or guest lectures on writing skills and conventions. Workshops can be tailored to fit 30-, 50-, and 75-minute blocks
- Documentation of participation for mandatory or extra-credit visits
- Individual writing plans for students in need of additional writing assistance via the Writing Referral Program:
Writing issues are often apparent in the first few writing assignments of the semester. “Writing-risk” students can be referred to the Writing Assistance Center for supplemental support. Referrals may be instituted for issues anywhere from incomplete writing assignments to support and detail to proofreading and editing.
Students will receive one or more individualized consultations with the director of the WAC to help them establish an individual writing process and/or to address specific writing concerns. After these sessions, weekly standing appointments with consultants or the director can be established at each student's request.
This program is for faculty of all disciplines. Faculty wishing to utilize the program may include it in their syllabus as a mandatory part of the course or as extra credit to encourage students to follow through with the referral.
There is a separate referral program for international students whose support needs often differ from native speakers and writers. International students are first referred to Ruthie Wienk of the Academic English Preparation Program who may then work with the Writing Assistance Center to create an individualized plan.
To start a referral for a student, contact Courtney Huse Wika at Courtney.HuseWika@BHSU.edu
or #6922, or Ruthie Wienk at Ruth.Wienk@BHSU.edu
Consultants can provide students with participation slips if you wish to make a visit mandatory or extra-credit for a class. If you require students to visit the WC during an assignment, please notify us at least one week in advance.
Faculty are also invited to collaborate with the director of the Writing Center on the following :
- Feedback on your assignments and structure of your Writing Intensive Courses
- Consultations on writing assignments and discipline-specific resources for your students
- Resources for implementing Writing-to-Learn activities in your classes at all academic levels
- Access to documentation or style manuals for your professional and scholarly work
- Assistance with revising and editing your scholarly research and writing