IN THE FINAL WEEKS OF THE SPRING SEMESTER, STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS WILL SEND A MINIMUM OF ONE (1) REPRESENTATIVE TO AN ALL-ORGANIZATION BUDGET WORKSHOP / INFORMATIONAL MEETING IN ORDER TO REQUEST OPERATING FUNDS FOR THE FOLLOWING SCHOOL YEAR. AN OPERATIONAL FUND CAN BE DESCRIBED AS MONIES NEEDED FOR NECESSARY OPERATING PROCEDURES SUCH AS PRINTING, PURCHASING SUPPLIES AND ADVERTISING. STUDENT SENATE WILL CONSIDER ALL REQUESTS AND ORGANIZATIONS WILL BE NOTIFIED WITH THE AMOUNT THEY ARE GRANTED. MONEY WILL BE PLACED ON BUZZ CARDS. THERE WILL BE NO REQUESTS FOR PROGRAMMING ACCEPTED AT THIS MEETING. UPON THE START OF THE NEXT ACADEMIC YEAR, HOWEVER, STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS ARE PERMITTED TO SUBMIT REQUESTS FOR PROGRAMMING AS NECESSARY. STUDENT SENATE WILL FUND PROGRAMS, NOT INDIVIDUAL CLUBS. ONCE A BUDGET REQUEST FORM IS SUBMITTED, STUDENT SENATE REVIEWS THE APPLICATION BEFORE NOTIFYING THE STUDENT ORGANIZATION HOW MUCH FUNDING IS AWARDED. IF FURTHER QUESTIONS ARE NEEDED ANSWERED, STUDENT SENATE OBTAINS THE ABILITY TO SCHEDULE A FOLLOW-UP MEETING IN ORDER TO CARRY OUT AN INFORMED DECISION.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE EVENT, EACH STUDENT ORGANIZATION HAS TWO (2) WEEKS TO FILL OUT AND RETURN A PROGRAM EVALUATION SHEET TO THE STUDENT SENATE OFFICE.
- All organizations that receive funds from Student Senate are required to send a minimum of one (1) representative to an All-Organization Budget Workshop / Informational Meeting. Each student may only represent one Student Organization. A sign-in sheet will be provided for the attendees.
- If a Student Organization fails to send a representative to an All-Organization Budget Workshop / Informational Meeting, Student Senate will take punitive actions. Such actions include deductions from future budget requests
- There are two (2) All-Organization Budget Workshop / Informational Meetings each semester
- Shirts may not be purchased using funds allocated by Student Senate, even if the purpose of the shirts is as a fundraiser
The rules and guidelines stated in this document apply to all Student Organizations who use funds allocated to them from Student Senate Student Senate is the governing body of the Student Association for Black Hills State University Students Serving Students
- Any food bought by a Student Organization using funds allocated by Student Senate must be purchased through BHSU Dining Services. Food items may only be purchased if they will be used for a project/event open to the entire campus. Proof of this event may be requested (i.e. campus fliers / posters)
- Funds for travel may not be requested
- Funds for national dues for the Organization (not individual members) and fees for conventions may be requested during spring
- A budget request form may become void if not filled out in full and Student Senate is not given a minimum of three (3) weeks to consider the application before the date of the event
- Personal money may be used to buy items. However, a Student Organization may not be reimbursed using Student Senate or University funds
- Must be an event that is open to the entire student population
Budget Approval Letter and Evaluation of Event
- A Buzz Card holds money that can be used on campus (i.e. Bookstore, Dining Services, copiers, printers etc.)
- If a Student Organization wishes to purchase items off-campus, it is easiest to do this at Wal-Mart, using the Wal-Mart card. Student Organizations that have a Buzz Card can still purchase items at Wal-Mart by using the Wal-Mart card
- Buzz Cards are located at the Information Desk in the Student Union. The Buzz Cards are to remain at the Student Union Information Desk except while in use. Members are required to check out the card, and then return it once the purchase is complete
- If a Student Organization needs to pay for an item that cannot be purchased at Wal-Mart or on Campus, it can be done using a FOPAL account. (Contact the Student Senate Office Administrator to discern if the item can be purchased)
- When receiving the budget approval letter from the Student Senate Office Administrator, you may notice that some items/projects were cut from the budget. For each item/project cut the rationale behind it will be explained. The budget committee decides the items limited/cut year by year.
- Each organization will be required to complete and return a program evaluation sheet to the student senate office no later than two (2) weeks after the date the event took place. The purpose of the evaluation is to provide feedback about where Student Organization funding has gone and to help form future decisions by the Student Senate. If a Student Organization fails to submit a program evaluation sheet, Student Senate will take punitive actions. Such actions include deductions from future budget requests.