- 3.1 Areas of Violation
The motor vehicle laws of the State of South Dakota and the rules of common sense and driving courtesy shall be adhered to by all those who operate a vehicle or bicycle on university owned, and supervised property and streets.
- 3.2 Multiple Tickets
The issuance of a ticket for a violation does not preclude the issuance of additional tickets for the same or similar violations on subsequent days or even on the same day.
- 3.3 Determination of Violation Fines
Traffic violation fines will be established by the Safety and Facilities Committee.
- 3.4 Parking Violations
Signs need not be displayed for a citation to be issued.
- 3.41 No Parking Violations
The following actions constitute a No Parking violation and shall be accompanied by a $30.00 Parking Violation Fine, with the exception of A, C and E which shall be accompanied by a $35.00 Traffic Violation Fine. Vehicles parked in the following manner may be immobilized (BOOTED) or towed at the owners' expense:
- A. Parked in a No Parking area in driveway at south side of Humbert Hall, service driveway at north side of Donald Young Sports Center, and south entrance to Student Union
- B. Obstructing (partially or wholly) any crosswalk or sidewalk
- C. Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant or parked in a fire lane
- D. In any loading zone, except when loading or unloading the vehicle
- E. In front of a movable barricade
- F. Double parked
- G. Parked outside a marked boundary
- H. In any place that obstructs traffic
- I. (2) 30 min. Bookstore Customer parking spaces located on University Street have been designated for non-student, non-faculty/staff use
- 3.42 Improper Parking Permit Violation
Parking in a designated area without a corresponding vehicle parking permit (however, all vehicles with a current permit - may park in the perimeter lots). The fine for this violation is $30.00.
- 3.43 No Parking Permit Violation
Any vehicle parked on campus by an employee or student must have an appropriate permit properly displayed. Parking on campus without a permit is not permitted. The fine for this violation is $30.00.
- 3.44 Handicapped Spaces
- SDCL: 32-30-11.4 Unauthorized parking or stopping in a handicapped space as a misdemeanor-fine
- The owner of any vehicle not displaying a serially numbered certificate, temporary handicapped permit, window decal or special license plate parked or stopped in a parking space, or blocking a parking space on public or private property designed as "reserved" for a person with a physical disability commits a Class 2 misdemeanor. The fine for this violation is $100.00. Repeat offenders will be towed at their expense.
- 3.45 The Faculty/Staff parking lot has been designated for Faculty and Staff employees. Students or others parking in this lot will be ticketed and assessed a fine of $30.00.
- 3.46 Visitor parking areas have been designated for visitors coming to our campus to visit. Visitor parking areas 7:00 am to 5:00 pm have been designated and signed accordingly to the Student Union and Library Learning Center on University Street. Students,fFaculty, administrative and staff persons parking in the visitor areas will be ticketed and assessed a fine of $30.00.
- 3.47 Littering is considered an affront to the University. Any person observed in the act of littering while driving and/or parked on university owned, supervised property and streets will be ticketed and assessed a fine of $15.00.
- 3.48 Lost, stolen, copied or altered permits. A violation of persons found with a lost or stolen, copied, altered parking permit displayed in their vehicle will be treated the same as a violation of article 1.52.
- 3.5 Moving Violations
The following violations will be accompanied by a violation fine and in cases of repeated or flagrant abuse, the operator is subject to revocation of parking privileges on all university owned, supervised property and streets. It is at the discretion of the ticketing officer to issue a university ticket or a uniform citation.
- 3.51 Speeding over the university limit of 15 MPH. The fine for this violation is $15.00.
- 3.52 Exhibition Driving - Any person who drives a vehicle on university owned, supervised property and streets in such a manner that creates or causes unnecessary engine noise, or tire squeal, skid or slide upon acceleration or stopping; or that simulates a temporary race; or that causes the vehicle to unnecessarily turn abruptly or sway, shall be guilty or the misdemeanor of exhibition driving. The fine for this violation is $35.00.
- 3.53 Careless Driving - Any person who drives a vehicle on university owned, supervised property and streets carelessly and without due caution, at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger any person or property, not amounting to reckless driving, shall be guilty of the misdemeanor of careless driving. The fine for this violation is $65.00.
- 3.54 Reckless Driving - Any person who drives a vehicle carelessly and heedlessly in disregard for the rights or safety of others, or without due caution and circumspection, at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property, shall be guilty of the misdemeanor of reckless driving. The fine for this violation is $90.00.
- 3.55 Other Moving Violations - Affronts to the university driving code not specifically mentioned above fall into the category of Other Moving Violations. Specific examples include failure to obey a stop sign, driving through a barricade, driving on sidewalks, or allowing a vehicle to be in any area other than sanctioned streets or parking lots. The fine for this violation is $35.00.
Purchase your Parking Permits online at the BHSU eMarketplace.
To pay your Parking Fine please stop by the office in Woodburn 126.