Residence Life at BHSU is committed to the education and development of student potential - academically, personally, and socially. The residential experiences gained in the first two years spent living on-campus at BHSU are instrumental in this education and development. For that reason, the South Dakota Board of Regents has mandated that students live on-campus for their first two years while in college. If you are a current student, you may also wish to review the Terms and Conditions of your BHSU Housing Agreement.
The Department of Residence Life recognizes that living on-campus, for various reasons, may not be in the best interest of all students. For that reason, Residence Life does offer this appeal for those students with unique situations that make living off-campus a necessary situation.
Please review the "How to Appeal", "FAQ", and "Appeal Form" tabs carefully to determine whether or not the Housing Appeal is the right option for you.
The following are the suggested guidelines for completing the Housing Appeal. Once submitted appeals typically will have a 48 hour turn around time before the decision letter is sent out.
1. Determine your appeal period
New Student Appeals: Year Round
Appeals for new students will be accepted and reviewed on a year round continual basis. New students are those who have applied for and been accepted to BHSU but have not yet attended classes. (Appeals will not be reviewed on state holidays or weekends.)
Current Student Appeals: March 2 through May 8, 2015
During open appeals, all current and new students may appeal for any exemption status.
Moderated/Current Students Appeals: November 17 through December 8, 2015
2. Determine your desired exemption status
- Married Exemption: Students must provide a valid marriage certificate.
* Engagement does not qualify as marriage under this exemption.
- Legal Dependent Exemption: Students must provide a birth certificate for their dependent.
- Commuter Exemption: For students residing full time with their parent or legal guardian within 50 miles of the BHSU main campus. Students must explain how commuting will be academically advantageous as part of the appeal process
- Financial Hardship Exemption: For those students with extenuating financial hardship usually verified through a student's completed FAFSA report.
* Released are not based on the assertion that living off-campus may be cheaper.
- Physical or Mental Health Exemption: Students must provide documentation from the attending physician or licensed mental health professional identifying the specific verifiable condition for which it is medically or mentally necessary to reside off-campus. Additional information may be requested on accommodations off campus that will satisfy the unique needs of the verified condition.
3. Complete the Housing Appeal Form
Be sure to have all of your information in order and then proceed to the Housing Appeal form. Complete the form and any supplemental form as directed. Applications will be automatically submitted to the appeals committee. All supplemental information should be sent to :
BHSU Residence Life
Attn: Housing Appeals Committee
1200 University St. Unit 9100
Spearfish, SD 57799-9100
4. Await the Arrival of Your Decision Letter
Your decision letter will be sent to the home address provided on your Housing Appeal form. It is also beneficial to check the email listed on your appeal regularly while waiting as official inquiries will be sent to that address. If you feel that you have not received your decision letter in an appropriate or expected time period, please contact Residence Life at (605) 642-6464.
5. If My Appeal Has Been Approved...
Sometimes, residents who are approved chose not to live off-campus. For that reason, Residence Life will not cancel room arrangements until verbal or written confirmation is received by the Residence Life office. To confirm the cancellation of your room assignment, please call Residence Life at (605) 642-6464 or email Residence Life.
6. If My Appeal Has Been Denied...
If you have already received a room assignment or completed the Online Housing Agreement, your contract will still be intact and your accommodations will remain the same. If you have not applied for a room, please proceed to our Online Housing Agreement and complete the application at your earliest convenience. Please contact the Residence Life office at (605) 642-6464 for questions regarding room reservation.