If you are associated with a business that sells local products, please fill out our form to apply for the free Spearfish Local badge. Badge recipients will be given a window decal to show that your business supports local producers and Spearfish's economy. Businesses who have received the Spearfish Local badge will be listed here.
Spearfish Local's focus is to:
- Support the local economy by assisting businesses to promote their products and keeping local dollars in Spearfish
- Assist consumers to identify local products
- Promote healthy eating choices with fresh, local produce
- Reduce transportation costs and greenhouse gas emissions
- Build community resilience
- Connect BHSU students with community members working on local food issues
- Provide real world work experience for BHSU students
Spearfish Local Businesses
The following businesses have submitted an application to Spearfish Local showing that they sell or cook with local food.
- Bay Leaf Cafe - locally raised lamb all year, Spearfish grown fruits and vegetables in the summer
- Beck's Nursery - vegetable seedlings and a variety of produce in the spring and summer
- Black Hills State University and A'viands - grows food at the campus garden for use in the campus dining hall
- Booth Society, Inc. - honey, jams, jerky
- Cycle Farm - a variety of produce sold through Community Supported Agriculture and Farmer's Markets
- Dough Trader - local produce pizza toppings Jun-Oct., locally made beer and stickers year-round
- Eric Jennings Angus Beef - locally raised beef
- Good Earth Natural Foods - produce in the summer, packaged items like honey year-round
- The Iron Place - several varieties of sprouts and homemade bread
- Killian's Tavern - local produce and eggs utilized in meals when available
- Leone's Creamery - local ingredients are often utilized in their ice cream, made in-house
- Lueders Food Centers - a variety of produce from local farmers, especially during the summer months
- Red Barn Farmer's Market - local food retailer
- Spearfish Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch - pumpkins, gourds, corn, popcorn harvested in early fall
- Spearfish Valley Produce - a variety of produce grown on 60 acres
- Sunflower Cottage - honey and locally crafted gifts
New applications are arriving, so check back here for frequent updates. If you own a business that sells or prepares at least one local food item, submit an application to apply for the free Spearfish Local badge. Benefits of the badge include window decals and stickers to show that your business supports local producers and better inform consumers on where to find locally grown food. In addition, Spearfish Local will include your business's name in advertisements in-print and online. Participation in this program is completely free! Thank you to our grantors and sponsors listed below!
2014 Healthy Communities Small Grant from
The Wellmark Foundation is an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Blue Cross®, Blue Shield®, and the Cross® and Shield® symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an Association of Independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans.
2014 Specialty Crop Block Grant from the South Dakota Department of Agriculture
This project is supported by the Specialty Crop Block Grant Program and the U.S. Department of Agriculture through grant 12-25-B-1487. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the USDA.