Dining Services FAQs

What if I have a complaint?
There is a supervisor on duty at all meals who will be able to handle your questions or complaints.

Can I change my meal plan after the semester begins?
Meal Plans may be changed within the first week of each semester by amending the original contract.  A "Meal Plan Change" contract may be obtained at the Student Union Administrative Office Suite. After the first week of each semester your choice of plan is final.

Is my BUZZ card required to access Meal Plan meals or Dining Dollars?
Your BUZZ card is your meal ticket. You must present your BUZZ card each time you use a meal and every time you use Dining Dollars. Meals on BUZZ cards are only valid for the assigned person.  It is important that you comply with these restrictions in order to help us offer you the best meals for the lowest prices.

When is the Hive open?

Monday through Friday: 
Breakfast 7:00am - 9:30am
Lunch 10:45am - 1:30pm
Dinner 5:00pm - 7:00pm

Saturday and Sunday:
Brunch 11:00am - 1:00pm
     Entree, Salad Bar, Dessert
Dinner 5:00pm - 6:30pm
     Entree, Salad Bar, Dessert

Holiday hours will be posted outside of the Hive at the cashier stand.


How will I know what is being served?
Menus are posted at Dining Services on the BHSU website.

What if I require a special diet?
Dining Services will do their best to meet the needs of any student on a special diet.  Students on special, physician prescribed diets may have meals specially prepared. To receive specially prepared meals, bring a physician's description of the prescribed diet to the Dining Services office and make arrangements with the Dining Services Director or Production Supervisor.

What if I am a vegetarian?
Students who are vegetarians may sign up for our vegetarian program.  At the beginning of each semester, vegetarian students should discuss their diet with the Director of Dining Services or the Production Supervisor.  A vegetarian entree is offered with every lunch and dinner.

Can I get my meal to go?
A'viands' dining policy is that all food must be consumed while dining in the Hive. Should a student have a situation where he or she cannot eat in the Hive (BHSU class schedule conflict, BHSU sports practice, game time conflict, etc.), arrangements may be made in advance with the director or assistant director for the student to take his or her meal to go. 

What if I cannot eat during the posted serving times?
You may use your meal plan at the Buzz Shack or Jacket Java for pre-set breakfast and lunch options.  Select your breakfast or lunch option, present your Buzz Card for payment and let the cashier know you're paying by meal plan equivalency. Once the cashier swipes your Buzz Card at the register, one meal is deducted from your meal plan.

How do I use my Dining Dollars?
Dining Dollars may be used any day of the week (including weekends) to purchase meals at the Hive.  Dining Dollars may also be used at the Buzz Shack or at Jacket Java.  Dining Dollars carry forward only from the fall semester to the spring semester; any Dining Dollars unused at the end of the spring semester are forfeited.

Can students living off-campus eat in the Hive?
Yes, students living off-campus may dine at the Hive any time it is open.  Payment may be made in the form of cash, check, credit/debit card or BUZZ bucks.  In addition, off-campus students may purchase any of the meal plans offered to resident students.  Please see the Dining Services office manager at the Student Union Administrative Office if you would like to purchase a meal plan.

Am I required to have a meal plan?
All students living in the Residence Halls and Campus Suites are required by the Board of Regents to have a meal plan.  

Is the Hive a smoke-free environment?
Yes, in response to a directive of the Board of Regents and the State Fire Marshal, the dining room is a non-smoking area.

Is there a dress code?
According to State Health Codes, proper shirt and shoes must be worn in the dining room at all times.

Can I use my meal plan for a guest?
Guests are welcome to dine at the Hive; however, you may not use your meal plan to pay for their meal.  Instead, you can use your Dining Dollars, BUZZ Bucks, cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for a guest's meal. Meal prices are posted at the Hive and at Dining Services on the BHSU website. 

What if I am sick?
If a student with a meal plan is ill, sick trays are available.  The student must contact their Resident Hall Director who will order the sick tray from Dining Services. The student is responsible for arranging delivery of the tray.  Contact your Resident Assistant or Resident Hall Director for help in arranging delivery if you need assistance. 

Will I receive a refund for meals I don't use by the end of the semester?
Meal plans must be used within the semester for which they were purchased; you will not receive a refund for unused meals. On the other hand, Dining Dollars carry forward from the fall semester to the spring semester. Any Dining Dollars unused by the end of the spring semester are forfeited. If you are withdrawing from classes, see the FAQ titled "If I withdraw from school can I get a refund?"

If I withdraw from school can I get a refund?
Students who withdraw from Black Hills State University prior to the tenth week of the semester will receive a proportional refund for unused meals; withdrawals after the tenth week will receive no refunds. Refunds will be calculated per the approved refund schedule. Discretionary food dollars will be refunded at 100% of the unused balance as of the date of withdrawal.