Mandatory Advising: Required for students with less than 60 credit.

Mandatory Advising:

Mandatory Advising

Now is the time to register for your summer and fall classes. Plan to meet your advisor before you register. If you have fewer than 60 credit hours you are required to meet with your advisor BEFORE you can register. Review the questions below to learn more about Mandatory Advising.

Academic Probation

If a student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below a 2.0 in any academic term (fall, spring, summer), the student is placed on academic probation the following term. While on probation, a student MUST earn a grade point average of 2.0 or better. When a student on probation achieves a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above, the student is returned to good academic standing. Any student placed on academic probation is required to complete an Academic Success Contract with the Student Success Center. The purpose of this contract is to help you return to good academic standing and improve your academic record. A student on academic probation who fails to maintain a system term grade point average of 2.0 or better is placed on academic suspension for a minimum of two academic terms.

Academic Suspension

Students can petition to be considered for readmission. Petitions are reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee, and the committee members decide whether the petitioner has presented sufficient evidence to warrant continued enrollment. The Academic Standards Committee's decisions are based upon the strength of the petitioner's appeal, as well as the petitioner's academic history. Petitioners who successfully appeal their suspension, and students who are admitted conditionally to BHSU, are allowed to register according to certain conditions determined by the Academic Standards Committee. If a students earns a 2.0 or above during his/her probationary semester, he/she will be allowed to continue on probation until the cumulative GPA is above a 2.0, which is good standing. Print a copy of the Black Hills State University Academic Appeals Form. For more information, email Student Success Center or call 605-642-6951.

How do I set up an appointment to meet with my advisor?

This will depend on your advisor.  Some advisors will post a signup sheet on his or her office door.  You can also find your advisor’s hours in WebAdvisor under “My Profile.”  Others may be contacted via Email and/or phone.

UCRC Only – Students should call 718-4373 to schedule an appointment with Katie Pavel; during peak registration time, students should call at least one to two weeks in advance of their registration priority date. Students may contact their faculty advisor by phone or email. Numerous departmental advising sessions will also be held, during which time faculty advisors will be available. Students who plan to attend these sessions will need to sign up for a session and should watch for emails and posted notices for more information on meeting dates and times.

Online Only - If you are taking a program entirely online then you will work with your advisor via phone or e-mail.
For the B.S in Business Administration, contact Sheila Aaker (605-642- 6702).
For the Associate’s in General Studies, contact Joe Valades (605-642-6107).

Share this: E-mail | Bookmark |