Mandatory Advising: Required for students with less than 60 credit.

Mandatory Advising:

Mandatory Advising

Now is the time to register for your summer and fall classes. Plan to meet your advisor before you register. If you have fewer than 60 credit hours you are required to meet with your advisor BEFORE you can register. Review the questions below to learn more about Mandatory Advising.

Academic Probation

If a student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below a 2.0 in any academic term (fall, spring, summer), the student is placed on academic probation the following term. While on probation, a student MUST earn a grade point average of 2.0 or better. When a student on probation achieves a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above, the student is returned to good academic standing. Any student placed on academic probation is required to complete an Academic Success Contract with the Student Success Center. The purpose of this contract is to help you return to good academic standing and improve your academic record. A student on academic probation who fails to maintain a system term grade point average of 2.0 or better is placed on academic suspension for a minimum of two academic terms.

Academic Suspension

Students can petition to be considered for readmission. Petitions are reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee, and the committee members decide whether the petitioner has presented sufficient evidence to warrant continued enrollment. The Academic Standards Committee's decisions are based upon the strength of the petitioner's appeal, as well as the petitioner's academic history. Petitioners who successfully appeal their suspension, and students who are admitted conditionally to BHSU, are allowed to register according to certain conditions determined by the Academic Standards Committee. If a students earns a 2.0 or above during his/her probationary semester, he/she will be allowed to continue on probation until the cumulative GPA is above a 2.0, which is good standing. Print a copy of the Black Hills State University Academic Appeals Form. For more information, email Student Success Center or call 605-642-6951.

Can I work with another advisor, or do I have to work with the one assigned to me?

On campus - Students work with the advisor of your choice BUT be sure to make an official change at the College office so that your advisor will have the authority to release your advising hold for registration. If you don’t make the change official, your new advisor will not be able to release the registration hold.

For more information on making an official change, click here.

UCRC - Students who have attended main campus and now wish to complete their program at the UCRC can contact Katie Pavel (605-718-4373) for advising. Such students should continue to contact their primary advisor by phone and/or email and will be expected to do so. Students who attend the departmental advising sessions at the UCRC can meet with any of the advisors who are present. Students must sign up for these sessions so that the advisors can make note of their attendance and should watch for emails and posted notices for more information on the meeting dates and times.

Online Only - Students in the online BS-Business Administration program should contact Kathy Morford (605-642-6212) in the College of Business & Natural Sciences. Students in the online Associate’s in General Studies program should contact Dr. Joe Valades (605-642-6107) in the Student Success Center.

Share this: E-mail | Bookmark |