Mandatory Advising: Required for students with less than 60 credit.

Mandatory Advising:

Mandatory Advising

Now is the time to register for your summer and fall classes. Plan to meet your advisor before you register. If you have fewer than 60 credit hours you are required to meet with your advisor BEFORE you can register. Review the questions below to learn more about Mandatory Advising.

Academic Probation

If a student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below a 2.0 in any academic term (fall, spring, summer), the student is placed on academic probation the following term. While on probation, a student MUST earn a grade point average of 2.0 or better. When a student on probation achieves a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above, the student is returned to good academic standing. Any student placed on academic probation is required to complete an Academic Success Contract with the Student Success Center. The purpose of this contract is to help you return to good academic standing and improve your academic record. A student on academic probation who fails to maintain a system term grade point average of 2.0 or better is placed on academic suspension for a minimum of two academic terms.

Academic Suspension

Students can petition to be considered for readmission. Petitions are reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee, and the committee members decide whether the petitioner has presented sufficient evidence to warrant continued enrollment. The Academic Standards Committee's decisions are based upon the strength of the petitioner's appeal, as well as the petitioner's academic history. Petitioners who successfully appeal their suspension, and students who are admitted conditionally to BHSU, are allowed to register according to certain conditions determined by the Academic Standards Committee. If a students earns a 2.0 or above during his/her probationary semester, he/she will be allowed to continue on probation until the cumulative GPA is above a 2.0, which is good standing. Print a copy of the Black Hills State University Academic Appeals Form. For more information, email Student Success Center or call 605-642-6951.

Can I complete the advisement process by email or phone?

On campus – This will depend on the advisor and is generally not the preferred method.  You want to establish a relationship with your advisor.  Your advisor will be able to make suggestions for scholarships, internships, job ideas, etc.  Get to know him or her.

UCRC - Yes, but UCRC students who want Katie Pavel (the academic advisor at UCRC) to advise them by phone should still call to set up an appointment (605-718-4373) so that she can prepare.  Katie will also respond to emailed questions as soon as possible (please allow up to five business days for a response).

Online Only - Yes, students in online programs may complete the advisement process by email or phone. For students in the online BS-Business Administration program contact Sheila Aaker (605-642-6702). For students in the online Associate’s in General Studies program contact Dr. Joe Valades (605-642-6107) in the Student Success Center.

Share this: E-mail | Bookmark |