Student Request For Assistance
If you have questions or concerns about any topic. We will follow up right away. Contact the Student Success Center at 605.642.6951, Woodburn Hall, first floor, or e-mail StudentSuccess@bhsu.edu
Read our Blog!
Keep up-to-date on tips and tricks on staying academically successful with the new Academic Success Blog. Here we will post updates to programs, registration tips, advising information, and more.
Each semester has its own unique challenges. This checklist will help you to have a successful semester.
After Mid-terms Checklist
This checklist will help you keep your college career right on track!
Beginning College Survey of Student Engagement (BCSSE)
- The BCSSE, pronounced "bessie," measures entering first-year students' pre-college academic and co-curricular experiences, as well as their interest in and expectations for participating in purposeful activities during college. Data from BCSSE can help BHSU assess the impact of student programs and services on the entire undergraduate experience and learn more about its students.
- The BCSSE is administered early in the first semester.
Time & Scheduling
Utilize this interactive time calculator to see how you spend your hours throughout the week.
- Planning Schedule – a downloadable class planning schedule.
- Weekly Schedule – a downloadable document to help you begin outlining your own daily/weekly schedule.
Learning & Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI)
- The LASSI is an assessment tool designed to measure students' use of learning and study strategies and methods. It is a diagnostic and prescriptive measure, and both thinking and behaviors are assessed. Awareness of these thought processes and behaviors can contribute significantly to success in college learning and training settings. Awareness and use of these learning strategies can be learned or enhanced through educational interventions.
- To complete the LASSI and review the results, contact the Student Success Center at 605.642.6951, Woodburn first floor, lower level.
Focus Career & Educational Planning System
Assess your interests, skills, values, and personality; identify careers that would be a good "fit" for you; look up information on hundreds of careers, including job descriptions, earning, education requirements, and future outlook.
- To complete the FOCUS online use the following access code:
- Access Code: jackets
- For follow-up review of your results, contact Chad Kruckenberg at the Student Success Center, 605.642.6951, Woodburn Hall, first floor.
Quickly figure your grade point average to determine your semester standing.
Quickly figure your college expenses by utilizing this tuition calculator.
Rethinking Your College Education: Changing Majors, Stopping Out of BHSU, or Transferring
Sometimes students reach a point in their education at BHSU where they have to strongly re-consider their plans for continuing enrollment. The advisors at the Student Success Center are available to help you with your decision, 642-6951.
View services offered by the Student Success Center, Student Support Services, and other service-oriented offices at BHSU.
Helpful Study Links
- Study Guides & Strategies: This site includes study guides and strategies for studying, reading, writing, math, science and technology, conducting research, managing projects, and classroom participation.
- Real World University Student Success: Here you can find advice for balancing university life with your life. Tips for taking care of your body, getting enough sleep, balancing a budget, and maintaining relationships are just some of the topics covered on this site.
- Math Links: Available at this site are many links to organizations and math resources designed to help improve math skills.
- How to Study.org: Here you can learn valuable study techniques. A GPA calculator and tips for making posters for presentations are also included, as well as many other important lessons about maintaining good study habits. You should also check out this site if you feel the need to learn about organic chemistry or biology through the art of song!
- March 2 Success: This program was designed by Kaplan and Educational Options for the express purpose of teaching students how to take tests and increase their knowledge of math and English. The site is administered by the U.S. Army.
- How to Study - A Brief Guide: This guide offers helpful hints for class preparation, making outlines, taking good notes, and managing your time. Clever cartoons also point out how NOT to study.