Chiesman Endowment for Promoting Democracy
2013-2014 BHSU Student Awards
Unfortunately funds for Student Awards are not available in 2013-2014.
The Black Hills State University Chiesman Endowment for Promoting Democracy is seeking applications from BHSU students interested in pursuing undergraduate research/creative activity in the areas of:
- Civic Education
- Law-related Education
- The promotion of democratic principles and ideals
The endowment will award up to six (6) awards of $500 to BHSU students who meet the following criteria:
- The research or scholarly activity focuses on the intent of the Chiesman Endowment. The Chiesman Endowment wants to reward undergraduate student research/creative activity related to the promotion, study, and preservation of democracy and democratic ideals.
- The project must be submitted and supported with written (e-mail or letter) endorsement by a BHSU faculty member.
- The undergraduate research/creative activity will result in a publication or presentation with a local/national audience within one year of the award unless other arrangements are made.
- The proposal will contain:
- name(s) of the investigator(s);
- title of the undergraduate research/creative activity;
- proposed methodology;
- a statement of relevancy to how the project will promote or preserve democratic ideals and principles;
- a suggested timeline: beginning and ending dates; and
- a statement on where the results will be published or presented.
- The results should be submitted to the BHSU Chiesman Committee in both hard copy and electronic version.
- All submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
- To be eligible to apply, a student must:
- be a full time student enrolled at BHSU
- have a minimum cumulative GPA 2.70
- provide an unofficial transcript
PRINT AND SUBMIT PAPER APPLICATION
Inquiries and Proposals can be made to:
Dr. David Wolff
Chair, BHSU Chiesman Endowment Committee
Black Hills State University
Spearfish, SD 57799-9560
Phone: (605) 642-6221