The Kevin Whirlwind Horse Memorial Run/Walk is sponsored each year on the Saturday of the Lakota Omniciye spring powwow in memory of this young man, a former BHSU student who was killed in a car accident in 1984. Marla Herman, a fellow student and member of Lakota Omniciye, organized the first memorial run in the spring of 1985 and it has been held every year since.
Kevin was an active and respected student leader, and the Memorial Run/Walk fundraiser serves to recognize the achievements of students like Kevin who are working to improve their campus, community, and world through the active pursuit of higher education. Each year, one $500 scholarship is presented to an American Indian sophomore who demonstrates outstanding academic ability and leadership skills.
The Kevin Whirlwind Horse logo was designed by Kevin's cousin, Don Gasdia. An explanation of the logo, follows.
- Boxer: Kevin was a boxer in the South Dakota Golden Gloves.
- Horseback Rider: Kevin was raised around horses and was an avid rider. He held them very dear.
- Skull and Pipe: Kevin cared deeply for all people, especially Indian people.
- Scholar: Kevin was a very intelligent person who always strived for excellence in academics.
- Football Player: Kevin was an outstanding football player in high school and in college.
- Shield: It's only right that a warrior such as Kevin should carry one forever.
- Feathers: In such a short time Kevin earned the greatest of all honors.