At BHSU, you will have one main account. This account is your email and it will allow you to log into the email system, campus computers, the library system, and D2L. Following this guide will help you access your account for the first time.
Getting your Login Information
1. First, you need to know what your username and default email password are. To find these, go to https://www.BHSU.edu/IITS/Login-Help in a web browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, etc.)
2. Hit the Accept Button
3. Select the button next to Student Account (highlighted in blue)
4. Fill out the three boxes with your information and hit "Submit." Make sure to capitalize the first letter of your last name i.e. Smith and follow MMDDYYYY format for your date of birth
Note: If you receive a Login Error, double-check the information that you entered. If you continue to receive the error, click the link on the right for Help Desk and submit a help ticket. Make sure to mention you tried login help and it returned an error.
5. The next page will show you several pieces of information. The important ones to remember are Campus Network Username/E-Mail Address and Pin/Password
6. Now we are ready to reset your email password
Logging into your Email
1. Before you can access your email, you must reset your default password. Please go to https://account.BHSU.edu in your browser
2. This is the Password Portal, you can log in using your full email address (Campus Network Username/E-Mail Address) as the username and the Pin/Password as the password (the email address is @yellowjackets.bhsu.edu do not forgot the "S" on yellowjackets)
Note: If you receive an error that the user name or password is not valid, verify that you have entered the information correctly and if you still receive an error, go to http://www.BHSU.edu/IITS/Services/Help-Desk/Request-Help and submit a work ticket
3. Once you have logged in, you will be asked to fill out three recovery questions, then hit Save Answers
4. Now, the system will say your password is expired and ask for a new password. Make sure to read through the password requirements on the top of the screen
5. Once you have typed your new password into both boxes, hit "Change Password." Note: If the portal flashes and returns you to enter in another password, the system did not accept your password. Generally this is either a previous password or contains someone's name. Please choose a new password.
6. Once your password is accepted, you will see a progress bar while your password is changed. Once that bar finishes, your new password is active for the next 90 days
7. Now, go to https://mail.office365.com/yellowjackets.bhsu.edu
8. Log into your email using your full email address and the password you just set
9. You will be prompted to select your Default Language and your Default Time Zone (Spearfish and Rapid City are in the UTC-07:00 Mountain Time Zone)
10. Now you have access to your BHSU network account, that can be used to log into your email, campus computers, D2L, and many more systems