The Black Hills State University Promotion and Tenure Committee has adopted the following promotion process. All promotion candidates are required to submit up-to-date information in a prescribed manner, and review levels are required to forward applicant’s packets in a particular order. Candidates are responsible for updating their curriculum vita and the materials which support their application for promotion. Faculty should reference Appendix G (in the BOR-COHE Contract):
By the time a candidate’s application reaches the institutional committee, it should include the following in order and clearly labeled as such:
1. A letter stating the candidate’s application and reasons that he or she should be granted promotion.
2. A curriculum vita: a short summary of one’s career including courses taught at Black Hills State University in the past and those currently being taught.
3. Evidence of the applicant’s performance. This evidence should be well organized and clearly labeled according to the following categories:
1. Dean’s or Chair’s narrative summaries of student opinion surveys
2. All Appendix F’s completed since employment with BHSU
3. Course syllabi for each different course taught since employment with BHSU
4. Any other evidence about teaching performance (Reference Appendix G)
B. Scholarship and Creative Activity
1. Major areas of research interest
2. Publications (complete bibliographical information and inclusive pages)
a) In Print
(2) Chapters in books and articles in refereed journals, refereed bulletins, and refereed proceedings
(3) Other publications (e.g., compositions, essays, etc.)
b) Accepted for publication
c) Submitted for publication
3. Other scholarly/creative/artistic contributions (e.g., performances, exhibits, etc.)
4. Papers presented at professional meetings (name of organization, location, and dates)
5. Awards, prizes, lectureships which show recognition of scholarly/creative achievement
6. Contributions to juried or refereed publications (e.g., editorships, associate editorships, referee)
7. Grants and contracts funded (source, funds, dates, other pertinent information)
8. Other evidence of scholarly/creative activity (reference Appendix G)
C. Service (For greater explanation of this category, reference Appendix G)
1. Service to the Institution
2. Service to the Discipline or Profession
3. Service to the Community, State, Region, Nation, and World.
4. A supplementary packet may be submitted if the candidate so desires. This should be labeled ‘supplementary’ and might include reprints of articles (or books), citations, etc. The candidate may also include letters of support from former students, reports of the dean or other classroom visitations, statistical summaries of student opinion surveys, and additional material that demonstrates his/her level of performance. The institutional committee discourages the inclusion of material that relates only peripherally to an applicant’s candidacy such as marital status, number of children, sports, non-professional club and church membership, and letters of support related thereto.
The above, with an appropriate cover sheet, will constitute the candidate’s official packet supporting his/her application for promotion and should be submitted to the Dean of the College.
5. The respective recommendation, including the rationale for the decision of the College Committee and Dean. The Dean shall include in the recommendation a statement of the applicant’s performance level in each of the following categories: teaching and advising, scholarship and creative activity, and service. The dean will justify the performance level assigned.