U.S. Savings Bonds offer a safe, easy way to save money while making a solid addition to your investment portfolio. In fact, millions of Americans take advantage of savings bonds' competitive rates. Whether you chooseTreasury's I Bond or EE Bond, your money grows and — best of all — stays safe into the future.
Why Should You Invest in U.S. Savings Bonds?
- Competitive - U.S. Savings Bonds offer competitive rates that compare favorably with other forms of saving. Interest accruesmonthly and compounds semiannually.
- Convenient - Buy bonds online through TreasuryDirect or where you work or bank.
- Safe - The United States backs savings bonds with its full faith and credit. Your paper bonds are registered, so Treasury can replace them if they're lost, mutilated, or stolen. Bonds bought electronically through TreasuryDirect are safely maintained in your account with the U.S. Treasury.
- Accessible - Need your money quickly? It's right there for you, although the longer you let your bonds grow, the more you benefit. Still, you can redeem them anytime after 12 months.**
- Tax Benefits - Interest is exempt from state and local income taxes. Federal income tax is deferred until your bonds mature or you redeem them, whichever is first. Using savings bonds to pay for some education expenses may offer additional federal tax benefits if all conditions are met.
- Affordable - Save with as little as $25 or as much as $5,000 of each series (EE and I) each year.
How do I buy savings bonds?
- Open a TreasuryDirect account online.
- Present a direct deposit request to the BHSU HR Office.
- Include your TreasuryDirect account, routing transit number, and dollar amounts to be deposited.
- Funds transferred to TreasuryDirect are used to purchase a Zero-Percent Certificate of Indebtedness, a non-interest bearing Treasury security used as a source of funds to buy other interest-bearing Treasury securities.
For more information on savings bonds, visit our web site at www.treasurydirect.gov call 1-800-4US BOND for recorded rate information, or write to: U.S. Savings Bonds, Parkersburg WV 26106-7012.