Faculty Senate Minutes
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Meier Hall 306
John Alsup, Pamela Carriveau, Gina Gibson, David Crawford, David Bergmann, Jim Hesson, Dorothy Fuller, Kara Keeter, Parthasarathi Nag, Laura Colmenero-Chilberg (semester replacement for Aris Karagiorgakis), Rocky Maier (Student Senate President). Visitors: Rodney Custer, Nancy Roberts
1. Call to order 3:15
2. Approval of agenda
3. Warm welcome to Dave Bergmann
4. Information items from Vice President Custer
a. HLC update: Assurance Report is based on 5 criteria. There will also be review groups that look at BHSU’s documents while they are being prepared. These groups may also meet with the HLC while they are on campus April 15 and 16. There will be a meeting between the HLC and the Faculty Senate. There will also be campus forums.
b. Budget: One time and base. Several sources of revenue: tuition (revenue we keep), state support (14%), self-support –UCRC/online - down by 2,000 credit hours for the year. Translates into $432,000. UCRC down by 200 students from Fall to Spring (1/2 military), Insurance shortfall – state didn’t budget enough for state employees - $300,000-700,000 needed. Total: $462,000 deficit for this year. Reserves will be used for this year. We will attempt to grow our way out of this deficit. This is about 64.3 students. Other options, we are the lowest caps in the state for course enrollment. There is discussion of raising caps on courses. Will need more self-support (UCRC and online). Monitor attendance on Starfish. There will be a card reader in room 305 in Jonas in order to check attendance. Continue bettering our practices for advising.
5. Emergency Planning Committee (Nancy Roberts): Resolution drafted, resolution to be sent to the Emergency Planning Committee.
6. Turnitin (Dorothy Fuller): Tool to detect plagiarism. Saves the instructor time when looking at a student’s document for plagiarism. John Alsup will speak with Dr. Custer about this issue. The Faculty Senate is interested in exploring the possibility of purchasing Turnitin at BHSU if there is the possibility of administrative support. If so Faculty Senate could do a poll of faculty.
7. Update on the System Conference on Academic Quality May 8 and 9 (John Alsup), reminder and review of issues such as online quality equality.
8. Curriculum proposals will be voted on electronically via email.
9. Minutes approved from January 16, 2013 meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 5:07
Minutes respectfully recorded and submitted by Gina Gibson
Posted on February 20, 2013 @ 17:10 by