BHSU Travel Request Manual


Original receipts for expenditures in excess of expenses:

  • No receipts are necessary for purchases uner $1.00, or for taxi fare less than $5.00.
  • Taxi fares that are in excess of $5.00, but only $5.00 is being claimed, must be indicated by "O.C." on the claim.
  • All receipts, excluding meals, must be attached to the travel payment detail.
  • Telephone toll charges to the claimant's residence are not an allowable expense.
  • All other toll charges must have a justification on the travel payment detail.
  • Parking fees in a parking lot and at the airport are allowable when accompanied by a proper receipt.
  • For those departments that will have students driving state vehicles, Risk Management requires Facilities Services to have a valid copy of the student's driver's license and proof-of-auto insurance on file for the current fiscal year.  It is the students and supervisor's responsibility to provide Facilities Services with this information prior to departure.  If you have any questions, please contact Facilities Services at ext. 6244.

Share this: E-mail | Bookmark |

The South Dakota State Board of Finance establishes regulations and travel rates that govern all travel by state employees regardless of sources of funding. This manual has been compiled from these regulations to aid university employees in the preparation of a travel request and a travel payment detail. Examples of completed payment detail forms are available on the second worksheet of the in-state and out-of-state spreadsheet forms.

Please note that there are maximum limits to reimbursement for meals, lodging and transportation that are established by the South Dakota State Board of Finance. Travelers should be aware of these limits to avoid problems when submitting travel payment details forms.

Ordinary travel requests should be completed at least five (5) working days prior to travel. Requests for:

should be done at least four (4) weeks prior to the date of travel or registration deadline.

This office is available to answer any questions concerning the travel regulations and travel payment detail forms for in-state or out-of state travel.  Contact 642-6566.

All university employees must be aware that if they book airfare and lodging with a internet provider that the receipt provided by the company must contain breakdown of airline cost, lodging cost per night and itemized taxes charged. A lump sum receipt does not satisfy the requirements of receipt for the State Auditor’s Office.